How can i stop Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition from blocking my macro?

GaryR

Hey all,
I finished writing a new bunch of macro's and now, my antivirus won't let me open it unless i disable it first because it's bloodhound virus sniffer thinks my document is a virus. i wrote it myself! lol.

how can i stop it from think this? i can't find a way to make it into an exclusion or something...

Symantec AntiVirus v10.0.2.2000

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Bump!

Can anyone think of a known cause for antivirus to suspect a macro virus? Or how i might go about editing my code to avoid that.

Upvote 0
The CAUSE for antivirus software to suspect a macro is a virus...

Because many viruses ARE VBA Macros...
VBA code is a VERY commonly used language for viruses...

It's not that a specific line or set of lines in your code is suspicious. It's just the fact that some VBA code EXISTS that it finds suspicious...

There's nothing you can do about it in Excel...
You'll have to adjust settings in the AntiVirus program to TRUST VBA macros.

Upvote 0
but it doesn't suspect all my workbooks, just this one in particular. and it didn't from onset, only with the last round of coding i did in it...

and i don't know if i want to leave my system unprotected for any and all macros...

Upvote 0
You should avoid macros that try to access outlook addresses, if one of your macros is trying to send emails.

Upvote 0
The CAUSE for antivirus software to suspect a macro is a virus...

Not necessarily a virus, just something that it thinks might be a virus.

Because many viruses ARE VBA Macros...
VBA code is a VERY commonly used language for viruses...

When did you last hear of a VBA virus? 1998? VBA would be easy to write a virus in, but i don't think it's a common vector.

There's nothing you can do about it in Excel...
You'll have to adjust settings in the AntiVirus program to TRUST VBA macros.

Uninstalling Symantec would be a good first step. AVG is a good, noninvasive antivirus program, and I've heard good reviews about Avast. However, if you work in a corporate environment, you may be stuck. So as JonMo says, you should try to find options or settings that make your Excel macros work without such interference.

Upvote 0
I had something similar happen years ago. I wrote writing some code for a training course, and Antivirus jumped in and told me I had a virus. Quarantined the file.
So, I started again and the same thing happened. I rewrote a third time, changing the code, and all was fine.

If your code has been quarantined, you might just have been unlucky. It's VERY rare but your best option is to try to modify the code (hopefully there isn't too much of it) to avoid this hapening again. I assume you have a prior version so you can work out what you changed?

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back