How to make a line graph?

chuckyD

I apologize that this is probably the easiest question ever posted on this board, but I haven't used excel since I was in highschool. Ok, my problem is that I'm trying to create a line graph. I have numbers in column A and numbers in column B that I want to be my X and Y axis respectively. I always thought that I highlight all the numbers in the 2 columns and click on the chart wizard and go from there. Well, what it is doing is creating 2 graphs for me, and I only want one. Please help out.

chuckyD

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
On 2002-03-24 16:08, chuckyD wrote:
I apologize that this is probably the easiest question ever posted on this board, but I haven't used excel since I was in highschool. Ok, my problem is that I'm trying to create a line graph. I have numbers in column A and numbers in column B that I want to be my X and Y axis respectively. I always thought that I highlight all the numbers in the 2 columns and click on the chart wizard and go from there. Well, what it is doing is creating 2 graphs for me, and I only want one. Please help out.

chuckyD

Hi chuckyD:
Welcome to the club ... we are all here to learn from each other. For your line chart, you are already half-way home, when you said you want one series to be along the x-axis, and the other series along the y-axis.
So, after you highlite the data in the two columns, you can select XY scatter (don't worry about the scatter part). As you will notice there are options in that group for solid lines as well.

HTH
Please post back if it works for you ... otherwise explain a little further and let us take it from there!

This message was edited by Yogi Anand on 2003-01-19 15:20

Upvote 0
Yogi, that was exactly what I needed. I was going to the line graph wizard and not the XY scatter. I really appreciate your help, this site rocks.

-chuckyD

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back