Sover.xla vs. Solver.xlam

rskshc

hi,

i have some 2003 excel workbooks which used solver.xla. now when i open them in 2007 it says "missing:solver.xla". when i try to reference solver.xlam for this, it still gives me the error. what is the best way to resolve this?

thanks

Well, Solver only works on the active sheet. That's why I suspect due to sequencing issues the proper sheet is activated but isn't quite active yet, when the Solver Reset command wakes up Solver, and it starts bouncing on the dock. That must be annoying as hell, those icons jumping up and down.

Maybe you could also move the sheet.activate command up higher in your routine.

I tried the Debug.Print and DoEvents functions to no avail. Seems the instructions are simply ignored. Yes the icon bouncing is annoying, but the solver not working even more ;)

I will try the sheet.activate command see if that helps.

Again thanks for the quick answers.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
I presume it works if you step through the code?

Correct BUT only if I stop before the
Code:
Sheets("PRICES").Select
line.

Actually, I tried to step in the code and brake at each line to see when the solver.app would launch. It actually launches at the
Code:
Application.Run "SolverSolve", True
line. This seems to imply that normally because the code runs all the way down until the last line (Msgbox) and prior to that selects
Code:
Sheets("PRICES").Select
the solver can't compute the equation I have set. This looks like a bug on Excel for MAC 2011 (or the solver itself) as in other versions I do not have this problem.

Logically a work around would be to insert a line before
Code:
Sheets("PRICES").Select
asking the macro to wait for the solver to finish before continuing executing the code. Since I am no VBA expert could anyone help me with the code?

Thank in advance

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Logically a work around would be to insert a line before Sheets("PRICES").Select asking the macro to wait for the solver to finish before continuing executing the code.

Well, maybe DoEvents before you activate the PRICES sheet would do this. Maybe before the SolverFinish step too.

Upvote 0
I did try that but it only seems to add only a second or so, not enough for the solver to finish.

Any other recommendations?

Upvote 0
I did a quick Google search, and apparently Solver runs differently on a Mac compared to in Windows. In Windows, Solver is more completely integrated as an add-in, and it runs synchronously, so Excel has no choice but to wait for the add-in to finish before continuing the VBA procedure that called Solver. On a Mac, there is a VBA interface to Solver, but Solver runs asynchronously as a separate application (this explains why Solver appears as a bouncing icon on the dock). Apparently VBA doesn't wait long enough for the separate application before continuing.

Perhaps you could contact Frontline Systems, the programmers of Solver:
support@solver.com

Upvote 0
I did a quick Google search, and apparently Solver runs differently on a Mac compared to in Windows. In Windows, Solver is more completely integrated as an add-in, and it runs synchronously, so Excel has no choice but to wait for the add-in to finish before continuing the VBA procedure that called Solver. On a Mac, there is a VBA interface to Solver, but Solver runs asynchronously as a separate application (this explains why Solver appears as a bouncing icon on the dock). Apparently VBA doesn't wait long enough for the separate application before continuing.

Perhaps you could contact Frontline Systems, the programmers of Solver:
support@solver.com

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the answer. Yes you are correct. Solver runs as a separate application, thus the bouncing. Clueless why they needed to change this in Excel MAC 2011 as in Excel MAC 2004 solver was integrated and didn't need any external application :oops:. The macros actually even run faster on Excel MAC 2004.... No Comment!

I'll ask Frontline about this and post the result here. Who knows, it might be useful to someone someday.

Again thanks for the time and recommendations.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back