In-cell dropdown arrow not appearing

Big Blue

Board Regular
I have a complicated spreadhseet. I use data validating on some columns of user input, against a list I created on same sheet. It worked fine. I copied the worksheet into a new directory, and now the validation arrow and drop down list won't appear. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Hi

Just to not bypass the obvious.
Have you checked Data Validation, Settings, in cell dropdown?

Tom

Upvote 0
Thanks Tom, but yes I did.
I'm sure it must be related to copying the shhest toa new workbook and directory, although there aren't any external references.

Upvote 0
Another thing to check would be:
Tools option view

make sure show all is checked under Objects.

Upvote 0
Do you have the "Freeze Pane" option on in the Window menu? I believe that you can't see the drop down arrow in the "frozen section".

Regards,

Upvote 0
Thanks Barrie, I'm not using freeze pane. You'r right that drop down won't work with freeze pane though.

still :confused:

Upvote 0
Okay, I must apologize for not reading your posting correctly. Using a range for data validation lists will only work if the range is in the same sheet. However, you can use a defined name for validation. From the Excel's help:

If the list of valid entries is in another worksheet or workbook, define a name for the external data on the active worksheet. In the Source box, you can then refer to the name on the same worksheet. For example, if the data you want to use in a formula is in cells A6:A12 on the first worksheet in a workbook named Budget.xls, you could define the name ValidData on the active worksheet to be =[Budget.xls]Sheet1!$A$6:$A$12 and then enter =ValidData in the Source box.

Regards,

Upvote 0
No need to apologize.. I appreciate the effort! I thought it might be becuase of using named range, so changed the validation to a list of values entered directly into the validation source box, but still no luck.

Some how I must have screwed up with the copying. The dropdown hust won't work. The data is validated (ie can't enter invalid data) but no dropdown list to choose from.

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-25 11:16, Big Blue wrote:
No need to apologize.. I appreciate the effort! I thought it might be becuase of using named range, so changed the validation to a list of values entered directly into the validation source box, but still no luck.

Some how I must have screwed up with the copying. The dropdown hust won't work. The data is validated (ie can't enter invalid data) but no dropdown list to choose from.
Have you got the "In-cell dropdown" box checked in the data validation message box?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back