Thread: cascading combo boxes...???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: cascading combo boxes...???

Quote Originally Posted by dani1 View Post
    hey aladin y indirect doesnt work for no adjacent range or cell?y do we ve to write in same column or rows name like u gave example of USA and France?y indirect doesnt work>?
    There is no reason INDIRECT not to work, except with dynamic named ranges. Would you post a small sample and tell us which lists are dependent?
    Assuming too much and qualifying too much are two faces of the same problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there any way to have a value attached to selections in the first and then dependant selections?

For example, assume these are selections from a list

A1: Package1 A2: all supplied A3 (I want this to be the price)

So ideally i would like package1 to be $190, and all supplied to be -$70, so the total in A3 to be $120.

the list in A1 has about 15 selections, and the list in A2 has about 10 selection (as conditions to A1), so hoping there is a simple way to calculate the total other than typing in every possible total costs.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danoz View Post
    Is there any way to have a value attached to selections in the first and then dependant selections?

For example, assume these are selections from a list

A1: Package1 A2: all supplied A3 (I want this to be the price)

So ideally i would like package1 to be $190, and all supplied to be -$70, so the total in A3 to be $120.

the list in A1 has about 15 selections, and the list in A2 has about 10 selection (as conditions to A1), so hoping there is a simple way to calculate the total other than typing in every possible total costs.

Thanks in advance

Shouldn't that be just:

A3:

=SUM(A1:A2)

where A3 is a formula cell, not a data-validated cell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aladin Akyurek View Post
    Shouldn't that be just:

A3:

=SUM(A1:A2)

where A3 is a formula cell, not a data-validated cell.
    LOL, very good haha. Let me try to explain better

So in A1 and A2 are dropdown lists. A1 has selections "Package1" through to "Package8", and A2 has selections "addextra", "lessextra" and "allsupplied".

Package 1 in reality has a value of $190, and All Supplied in reality has a value of -$70, so if i supplied a customer with Package 1 all supplied, the total price would be $120.

Is there a way to Select Package1 in A1, but excel recognises this selection to imply $190, and select Allsupplied in A2 for excel to recognise this as -$70, to give a total in A3 as $120.

The 2 ways i can think of is 1- use the if function multiple times, very time consuming, or 2- have columns in between with conditional dropdown lists giving only the values applicable to each package, and then sum those columns as you suggested. I'm just hping there is an easier way.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danoz View Post
    LOL, very good haha. Let me try to explain better

So in A1 and A2 are dropdown lists. A1 has selections "Package1" through to "Package8", and A2 has selections "addextra", "lessextra" and "allsupplied".

Package 1 in reality has a value of $190, and All Supplied in reality has a value of -$70, so if i supplied a customer with Package 1 all supplied, the total price would be $120.

Is there a way to Select Package1 in A1, but excel recognises this selection to imply $190, and select Allsupplied in A2 for excel to recognise this as -$70, to give a total in A3 as $120.

The 2 ways i can think of is 1- use the if function multiple times, very time consuming, or 2- have columns in between with conditional dropdown lists giving only the values applicable to each package, and then sum those columns as you suggested. I'm just hping there is an easier way.

Thanks
    Create a 2-column range on a sheet called Admin in A:B from row 2 downwards, which house

Package 1,190
    Package 2.160
    All Supplied,-70

Name the range in column A with Package 1, etc. CHOICES and
    the range in column B DOLLARS.

Now back to the choices made thru data-validated cells A1 and A2 on your target sheet: In A3 enter:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(CHOICES,A1:A2,DOLLARS))

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello! This thread is great! Today I learned something new! Thanks Aladin for your contribution...
    Regards from Monterrey Mexico

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a similar problem. I have 7 worksheets basically one for each supplier, each sheet has list of products, description, qty and cost. I have created a drop down for each supplier in B2 and cell C3 will return the product list for that supplier (indirect function). What i would like to do is also bring the cost across as well. The target columns in the worksheets are A? and D?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greenie532 View Post
    I have a similar problem. I have 7 worksheets basically one for each supplier, each sheet has list of products, description, qty and cost. I have created a drop down for each supplier in B2 and cell C3 will return the product list for that supplier (indirect function). What i would like to do is also bring the cost across as well. The target columns in the worksheets are A? and D?
    Care to post the list you have in B2?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the list in B2
    PS3list
    Wii
    PC
    XBOX
    DS
    Accessories
    Consoles

These correspond to the sheet names in the work book, each sheet has has each sheet has 4 columns; A=Product Code, B=Description, C=Qty, D=Price. On another sheet, cell B2 brings up the list above, cell C2 has data validation as "List" and source as "=Indirect(B2) which gives the list of product codes for the selection in B2. What I would like to do is bring the cost over at the same time. Hope this makes sense.

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw the request to have the dropdown shown.

I color all cells that have a dropdown (say light blue)

Then on that sheet I add the following code and when the cell is clicked, the drop down list shows.

Without the code, you click the cell, it shows an arrow, you then have to click the arrow to display the dropdown list

Code:
    Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

' automatic DropDown when the cell is clicked, the drop values display

Dim lngValidType As Long
        On Error Resume Next
        lngValidType = Target.Validation.Type
        If lngValidType = 0 Then Exit Sub
        If lngValidType = 3 Then SendKeys "%{down}"

End Sub
    I do agree that this thread is getting too long....
    Excel 2003 and 2010 on 64bit Windows-7

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others