cascading combo boxes...???

Gurps

is there any way in which I can get the selection from one combo box to influence the second?? In other words, The second combo box is dependant on the first.
I am using Excel XP.

any help would be appreciated.
cheers

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
I was wondering if it is possible for the indirect function as described above to work for dynamic ranges. I have tried it but the pull down in the second column does work. If I make the range a fixed range it works, however I would really like to have the dynamic range.

Mark

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Indirect function together with several dropdown menus with data - validation <<<---- Is this possible? Ive got two dropdown menus and they are working like a charm. However, i want to have 3 or 4 dropwdown menus and depending of which choice i choose from the first 2-3 i will get some new choices from in the 4th dropdown menu.. Ive tried tha indirect function but i can only get this working together with 2 dropdowns.. :(

Eric

Upvote 0
zanoman said:
Indirect function together with several dropdown menus with data - validation<<<---- Is this possible? Ive got two dropdown menus and they are working like a charm. However, i want to have 3 or 4 dropwdown menus and depending of which choice i choose from the first 2-3 i will get some new choices from in the 4th dropdown menu.. Ive tried tha indirect function but i can only get this working together with 2 dropdowns.. :(

Eric

As long as you define the sublists as referring to definite ranges (thus, not using formulas with OFFSET, INDEX...), INDIRECT() will suffice to construct cascading or dependent lists...
aaCascadingDataValidLists zanoman.xls
BCDEFG
2FRANCECOUNTRIESUSAFRANCE
3USANewYorkParis
4NiceFRANCEPittsburghNice
6NIC1NewYorkParis
7N1PAR1
8N2PAR2
10PittsburghNice
11P1NIC1
12P2NIC2
Sheet1

COUNTRIES refer to:

=Sheet1!$D$3:$D$4

USA refers to:

=Sheet1!$F$3:$F$4

FRANCE refers to:

=Sheet1!$G$3:$G$5

NewYork (without space) refers to:

=Sheet1!$F$7:$F$8

Pittsburgh refers to:

=Sheet1!$F$11:$F$12

Paris refers to:

=Sheet1!$G$7:$G$8

Nice refers to:

=Sheet1!$G$11:$G$12

Data validation in B2...

Allow set to List, Source to:

COUNTRIES.

Data validation in B4...

Allow set to List, Source to:

=INDIRECT(B2)

Data validation in B6...

Allow is set to List, Source to:

=INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(B4," ",""))

Upvote 0
How about dropdown menu with data validation and checkboxes? From a pulldown menu you are allowed to pick a checkbox containg "X" or a chackbox containing "V". As in ok (V) and not ok (X). Is this "doable"?

Eric

Upvote 0
I tried the USA-FRANCE example...
It answered who to access Data Validation List from another sheet's data AND how to do a parent - child relationship.
SWEET! TTom

Upvote 0
Match function

thanks for the info. but I'm have 4 columns of data validation. each one is dependent on the previous. And the issue is when any of the data values is duplicated, Excel doesn't handle this well with the formula I'm using with INDIRECT and MATCH.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back