cascading combo boxes...???

Gurps

is there any way in which I can get the selection from one combo box to influence the second?? In other words, The second combo box is dependant on the first.
I am using Excel XP.

any help would be appreciated.
cheers

Hey

Would the indirect work with data in rows rather then in columns.

E.G

A13 = Country. List of Countries in B13 C13 D13

Thanks

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
manah786 said:
Hey

Would the indirect work with data in rows rather then in columns.

E.G

A13 = Country. List of Countries in B13 C13 D13

Thanks

Not sure what you mean. It should not make any difference whether (sub)lists are laid out vertically or horizontally

Upvote 0
editing the lists

Hi, first let me thank you for the data validation tip but I wanted to know if there was a way to edit the list because when I go back to it excel doesn't allow me to change it and then I have to create a all new excel sheet to insert another word/name.

Please let me know if this is possible.

Upvote 0
Re: editing the lists

Sportsfan said:
Hi, first let me thank you for the data validation tip but I wanted to know if there was a way to edit the list because when I go back to it excel doesn't allow me to change it and then I have to create a all new excel sheet to insert another word/name.

Please let me know if this is possible.

Try to be specific: Edit which/what list?

Upvote 0
Naming a range as a number

I am trying to use this method for combo boxes, but i have drop downs with lists of numbers ... is there a way to name a range as a number, or do i need to use a different method?

Upvote 0
Aladin,
That was a great idea.
I need one more.
What if I change the selection in A1. I need the list in 2nd column to not show the earlier selection, I need that to get reset to blank each item a new value is selected in A1.
Pls help
TIA,
Gowrish

Upvote 0
I too have wondered how to get the second list to reflect changes made to the first list instead of showing invalid data. I asked that question in this forum and did not get an affirmative answer. Since then I've thought maybe there is a way for the second list to display "pick from list" when the first list is changed. This probably requires VB. Any ideas, anyone?

DJ

Upvote 0
ggowrish said:
Aladin,
That was a great idea.
I need one more.
What if I change the selection in A1. I need the list in 2nd column to not show the earlier selection, I need that to get reset to blank each item a new value is selected in A1.
Pls help
TIA,
Gowrish

djl0525 said:
I too have wondered how to get the second list to reflect changes made to the first list instead of showing invalid data. I asked that question in this forum and did not get an affirmative answer. Since then I've thought maybe there is a way for the second list to display "pick from list" when the first list is changed. This probably requires VB. Any ideas, anyone?

DJ

I think this request requires VBA, that is, a non-formula approach.

Upvote 0
I tried your example of COUNTRIES USA AND FRANCE but I get an error "The source currently evaluates to an error. Do you wish to continue?"

This happens when I try to use the Indirect formula in cell C1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THMarana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back