cascading combo boxes...???

Gurps

is there any way in which I can get the selection from one combo box to influence the second?? In other words, The second combo box is dependant on the first.
I am using Excel XP.

any help would be appreciated.
cheers

Hi, guyz & galz.

I'm VBA challenged (a complete idiot, in fact). Can anyone come up with a Worksheet_SelectionChange or Worksheet_Change code to blank out cell D4 (my dependent validation cell) whenever cell B4 (my primary validation cell) is edited (either the contents deleted or a new choice made).

Thanx.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Hi

I've setup a worksheet that has a TEAM listing (Teams 1 to 10), which I have used to populate ComboBox1 on a Userform. I have named this as a range called TEAMS.

On a seperate sheet, I have another list which has players registered to each team. Some teams have 10 players, some have 20 players, etc.

This PLAYER listing is a 2 column list, the first column being the team and the second being the Player Name. I have set the whole of this listing to the name PLAYERS.

I want my second Combobox on the Userform to show only the players that are registered againat the team selected in ComboBox1. i.e only show the PLAYER list when the first column is the same as the one in Combobox1.

I've spent ages trying to get this to work. I'm only a VBA baby so this may be a very simple bit of code.

Hope that this makes sense!!

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Simon

Upvote 0
Simon

Could you start a new thread for this?

Upvote 0
I Just Can't Get This to Work

I searched the forums for what I am trying to do, and this example looks perfect, but something is missing - I can't get it to work.

What I have is:

Column 1 =
Expenditure Type
Asset Category
Column 2 =
Admin-All Staff Functions
Admin-Bus Licenses
Admin-Charitable Donations
Admin-Comm Cellular
Column 3=
Building-Rate 4
Building-Rate 5
Building-Rate 8
Building-Rate 10

When "Expenditure Type" is selected in the pseudo combo box I want the 2nd pseudo combo box to contain the data listed in column 2

When "Asset Category is selected, I want the list to contain the data in column 3

How is this done step-by-step?
Thanks.

Upvote 0
Re: I Just Can't Get This to Work

I searched the forums for what I am trying to do, and this example looks perfect, but something is missing - I can't get it to work.

What I have is:

Column 1 =
Expenditure Type
Asset Category
Column 2 =
Admin-All Staff Functions
Admin-Bus Licenses
Admin-Charitable Donations
Admin-Comm Cellular
Column 3=
Building-Rate 4
Building-Rate 5
Building-Rate 8
Building-Rate 10

When "Expenditure Type" is selected in the pseudo combo box I want the 2nd pseudo combo box to contain the data listed in column 2

When "Asset Category is selected, I want the list to contain the data in column 3

How is this done step-by-step?
Thanks.

Here is how it is done...
Book3
ABCD
1MainListSubList-1SubList-2
2Expenditure TypeAdmin-All Staff FunctionsBuilding-Rate 4
3Asset CategoryAdmin-Bus LicensesBuilding-Rate 5
4Admin-Charitable DonationsBuilding-Rate 8
5Admin-Comm CellularBuilding-Rate 10
Sheet1

Select A2:A3 and name it (via the Name Box) MainList

Select B2:B5 and name it (via the Name Box) ExpenditureType. Note the absence of space!

Select C2:C5 and name it (via the Name Box) AssetCategory. Note the absence of space!

Try the following...

Select F2.
Activate Data|Validate.
Choose List for Allow.
Enter the following in the Source box:

=MainList

Click OK.

Select G2.
Activate Data|Validate.
Choose List for Allow.
Enter the following in the Source box:

=INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(F2," ",""))

Click OK.

Upvote 0
That was alot of help! But is there a way to have some of the information in the first drop-down point to the same information. For example: if the information in the first drop-down menu was: A Segment, B Segment, and Overlay and I want anything with the word Segment in it to point to the same menu but Overlay point to a different one.

I tried to do a Name with *Segment but that obviously didn't work.

Upvote 0
That was alot of help! But is there a way to have some of the information in the first drop-down point to the same information. For example: if the information in the first drop-down menu was: A Segment, B Segment, and Overlay and I want anything with the word Segment in it to point to the same menu but Overlay point to a different one.

I tried to do a Name with *Segment but that obviously didn't work.

See:

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=247568

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back