Excel Macro to group data

dlanden

Hello everyone. I am trying to figure out a way to consolidate or group some data that I get on a weekly basis. I would like to create a Macro to make this process even quicker each week. Here is a sample of my data.

Column A Column B Column C Column D Column E Column F Column G Column H
1004 RIV 03 03/01/08 CR-R123 COREMART 111.12 0
1004 RIV 03 03/01/08 CR-R123 CENTRAL 123.56 0
1004 RIV 03 03/01/08 CR-R123 APNE 0 56.23
1004 RIV 03 03/02/08 CR-R222 DILLON 189.56
1004 RIV 03 03/02/08 CR-R222 APNE 87.65
1004 RIV 03 03/02/08 CR-R222 KWIK 653.25

What I need to do is group each row that has the same data in column "E" and get a total for column "G" and Column "H". I also need to keep the date that is assinged to column "D" with these corresponding totals. Here is what my data should look like once it is grouped together:

Column D Column E Column G Column H
03/01/08 CR-R123 234.68 0
03/01/08 CR-R123 0 56.23
03/02/08 CR-R222 842.81 0
03/02/08 CR-R222 0 87.65

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
I don't fully understand you grouping (repeated combinations of date and column E), but have you tried a pivot table?

Upvote 0
Hi,

If the data does not have headers, can they be added? As Excel has lots of functionality for working with data in a table - headers and data under.

F

Upvote 0
The reason I need to group this data is because I am dealing with thousands of rows of data. A pivot table maybe the answer that I am looking for. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Fazza,
The data does not have headers. I am not sure about adding the data because a lot of it is non numeric data. Thanks,
Dave

Upvote 0
Hi,

You can only use a pivot table if you have headers. In which case, there are others options too, BTW - for example query table. A pivot table will be easiest.

F

Upvote 0
Dave,

My comments about adding headers is to add/insert a row with headers above the data. It is nothing to do with arithmetic addition!

F

Upvote 0
Fazza,
I have added headers and I am using a pivot table. Everything is working great except in the pivot table it summarizing my data on column "E" but it is splitting it out by each date (column "D"). Is there a way I can keep the date next to column "E" along with Column "G" without but not have it split it out by date?
Thanks,
Dave

Upvote 0
Sorry, Dave.

The details of the data are confusing me. I'll have a look again tomorrow when I can.

The first three data rows end with two number fields, the last three end with one number field. Looks like something missing?

I think I know what to do but maybe best if you check & clarify. If I understand correctly, what I'm thinking of doing is something like below. This SQL could be in a query table or used in generating a pivot table or with VBA & ADO. I can elaborate tomorrow.

Regards, Fazza

Code:
SELECT D, E, Sum(G) AS [G], H
FROM table
WHERE H=0
GROUP BY D, E, H
UNION
SELECT D, E, G, Sum(H) AS [H]
FROM table
WHERE G=0
GROUP BY D, E, G

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back