Excel Character Question Mark In A Box

themusicbox

Hi I've searched for this in the forums but can't find anything. I need to find/replace a character in Excel, it's a question mark in a box and looks like this
question-mark.jpg

I've tried searching for special characters (using the ALT key and number pad) but I can't find anything matching this.

When I save the spreadsheet as a CSV (TAB delimited) this character gets picked up as a TAB, but when I try find replace on the TAB character it doesn't work!

I'm using Excel 2007.

Please help!!

Complement:
If you are treating text strings that you want to have separated into different columns, I suggest applying to formula hereunder to the entire column:

SUBSTITUTE(A1;CHAR(13);"XXXXX")

Replace XXXXX in this formula by whatever character you find more appropriate for your treatment.

Dale

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Hi I've searched for this in the forums but can't find anything. I need to find/replace a character in Excel, it's a question mark in a box and looks like this
question-mark.jpg

I've tried searching for special characters (using the ALT key and number pad) but I can't find anything matching this.

When I save the spreadsheet as a CSV (TAB delimited) this character gets picked up as a TAB, but when I try find replace on the TAB character it doesn't work!

I'm using Excel 2007.

Please help!!

Ten years later...
In Excel if the string "Women photographers � New Zealand" is in cell C5, then =SUBSTITUTE(C5,MID(C5,SEARCH("s ",C5)+1,3),"--") will remove the replacement character to give you "Women photographers -- New Zealand".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back