Excel Character Question Mark In A Box

themusicbox

Hi I've searched for this in the forums but can't find anything. I need to find/replace a character in Excel, it's a question mark in a box and looks like this
question-mark.jpg

I've tried searching for special characters (using the ALT key and number pad) but I can't find anything matching this.

When I save the spreadsheet as a CSV (TAB delimited) this character gets picked up as a TAB, but when I try find replace on the TAB character it doesn't work!

I'm using Excel 2007.

Please help!!

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Hi & Welcome to the Board!

ou can use the CODE function to determine what the code number of the character is eg:

=CODE(MID(A1,1,1))

assuming the character is in a string in A1 (adjust Mid settings to suit). If the character is on its own, you can omit the Mid.

This assumes that it is from the default character set (ie 0 which is the setting for all Western (ANSI) settings). I suspect it is a specific font giving rise to the character.

See what the CODE returns and report back.

Upvote 0
OK that suggests it is a Carriage Return. You can do a find/replace on Carriage Returns (ie in the Find box of the Find/Replace dialog, hold down the Alt key and on the numeric keypad type 013 - this will enter a Carriage Return which you can then replace with nothing - i effectively removing the CR).

Upvote 0
I forgot to mention that the character is coming up between to paragraph tags (it's HTML) so it looks like

<CODE>
</CODE>
Code:
</P>[IMG]http://www.andertons.co.uk/and_news_files/images/question-mark.jpg[/IMG]<P>

Upvote 0
Plonk the following macro in a standard module and select a range of cells that includes this funny character and run the macro - if the character is from a non-standard character set then it will highlight the cell in red.

Code:
Sub IdentifyCharacters()
Dim r As Range, b() As Byte, i As Long, cell As Range, strText As String
Set r = Selection
For Each cell In r
    If Not IsEmpty(cell.Value) Then
        strText = cell.Value
        b = strText
        For i = LBound(b) + 1 To UBound(b) Step 2
            If b(i) > 0 Then
                cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 3
                Exit For
            End If
        Next
    End If
Next cell
End Sub

Upvote 0
All I needed in the end was the =CLEAN() formula! This takes out any non-printing characters.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Steve

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back