Formatting causes number loss

Maslan

Hi guys,
I used excel's OpenText method to load a very large text file. The source file is ok. In excel, the number 5402563000067965 is shown as 54+Exx, which is fine. When I format it as number & did a column autofit, the last number becomes 0, it now becomes 5402563000067960. Don't know whats wrong. Help??
Thanks.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
On 2002-03-25 21:15, Maslan wrote:
Hi guys,
I used excel's OpenText method to load a very large text file. The source file is ok. In excel, the number 5402563000067965 is shown as 54+Exx, which is fine. When I format it as number & did a column autofit, the last number becomes 0, it now becomes 5402563000067960. Don't know whats wrong. Help??
Thanks.

Hi Maslan:
I don't think there is anything wrong -- I believe it has to do with EXCEL's 15 digit accuracy limit.
Perhaps some EXCEL GURUs can shed some more light on this matter!

Upvote 0
Is it true?? I loaded the file using VBA, using the command OpenText(xxx) and I made sure all the fields are imported as text; Application.OpenText yyy yyy yyy FieldInfo:=(xxx, xxx, xxx, Array(242, 1), etc.) Why is it still treated as a number then?? Anyone else with this problem??

Upvote 0
Cheers Tommy, worked like a charm... More Excel limitations for me to know... 65K rows, 15 digit limit... what next??

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-26 01:33, Maslan wrote:
Cheers Tommy, worked like a charm... More Excel limitations for me to know... 65K rows, 15 digit limit... what next??

64K rows Maslan -- now that you are Excel enthusiast!

Upvote 0
hi

add

limits surprised what of 256 columns>>>>>

I jave hurs 1000000 rows an 1024 col bit like 123 lotus via developers editiond excel???

Is this true.....

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-26 00:49, Tommy Bak wrote:
Hi maslan
if you want it treated like text then use array(242, 2 )
regards Tommy

Hi Tommy:
Would you please elaborate your point for me please!

Upvote 0
Yogi, I think you will find Tommy is refering to the code that is generated when you use the Import Text File wizard. The last step in this feature allows you to nominate which format you wish to use on which columns, eg Text, numbers, dates etc.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back