File.xls is locked for editing by me but I am not using the file .

rmtaylor

Board Regular
Hi
I have an Excel spreadsheet that I share with another local office. When I try and open it, it says that it is locked for editing by me when I know this is not the case.
Excel will not allow me to open the sheet unless its in read-only mode. The last time this occurred I solved it by saving the file under a new name, consequently I had to reset shortcuts for the six others who impute data onto the sheet.
Any assistance to help me to solve this would be appreciated.

Thanks & regards
Robert

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
From my experience, you are "halfway there." After opening the file as read-only, save the file under a slightly different name (I use "-a" or "-1" at the end of the original filename). THEN the file will NOT be read-only, so make the edits and save. NOW, to avoid the link problem, with the file open simply click File | save as, and remove the extra characters in the name. When you NOW click save, it will ask you if you want to replace the existing (locked) file. Your answer should be "Yes," and you hopefully have come full circle. Others may have different ways to work around this locking issue, but this usually works.
HTH Larry.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply.
I attempted you suggestion but I get a message stating that I can’t save the file as the original file as it is being used by me. When it is closed, it is not even possible to delete the file for the same reason. and I am left with an additional file with the same info.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. I have cleared out all the temporary files, but it still says i am in the file for editing. Anyone have a decent solution for this problem? The save as solution doesn't work.

Upvote 0
Hi rmtaylor, bolo

Which version of Excel do you use on your computer ?

Do you have the same file open at another location ? If you have kept it open, then close the file at another location before you open this file to work on it. Moreover, try performing these steps on your computer:

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your computer. This would bring up the Task Manager window. Click on Task Manager --> Processes tab --> Find EXCEL.EXE and click on End Process. Try opening the file now.

Let me know if you are able to resolve the issue.

Edit: Please ensure that you are not doing anything important on Excel files and if you are doing so then please save your work prior to performing the steps mentioned above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Rob,

I have encountered the same problem as you on a few occasions. Is the file saved on a network drive or local hard drive?

I have used the same method as Stormseed mentioned above when the file was saved to my hard drive. However when i had the problem with a file on our network drive I had to wait a long time before the server finally realised i was not in the file anymoe.

J.

Upvote 0
Has anyone discovered a fix for this? I've run into the same problem a number of times, and our IT chaps suggested doing a google search to see if I could find a fix. The only thing I found was a Vista hotfix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942146), but we're running XP (and Excel 2007, since you ask)...

Has anyone got any other ideas? Of all the fixes I've come across so far, half of them I've tried and haven't worked, and the other half seem to involve compex registry changes, which will probably result in my employment being terminated. On the other hand, if I have to continue using Excel 2007 (which is indefensibly rubbish if you ask me) and this keeps happening I'll probably defenestrate my computer anyway, with the same end result... :(

PS. My files are saved on a network drive, and the problem is currently affecting about four files, but each time I save a new one, the same fate seems to befall it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Same Problem here. The file is stored on a network server and shows that I have it open even though I do not. It is very frustrating and I have yet to find a fix. Yes I can open a read only copy, but when I use this file a lot, it makes it a huge hassle. I would love to find a fix!

Upvote 0
Looks like this one has been out there for a while but I just came across this problem. Was this ever resolved?

FYI, the spreadsheet is saved on a network and is a shared workbook.

Upvote 0
yes i am having the same issue. Our network is a mix of Windows XP/VISTA/7. The user definitely doesn't have the file open and I tried the step suggested by Stormseed. The computers all have the most recent updates (Office and Windows). Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back