Funding SUM of cells that are in the same row as another loo

Perry M

I an importing date from an AS400 system into Excel. I then need to find all of the values in column B that are the same, and add the values in column D that are in the same rows.
I am having a difficult time finding a way to do this. Of course it doesn't help that I am fairly inexperienced with formulas, and VB functions.

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi Perry

If you Sort the data all the doubles will be together. You could then probably use the "Subtotal" feature found under Data.

Or perhaps a simple pivot table?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response, but it seems I left out an important piece of the puzzle. The method of accumulating this data needs to reside on a blank form. When I import the data from the AS400, I have no idea how many of each match I will retrieve. I only know which columns the data will appear in. I am trying to "automate" the compiling of the data I import daily. With many entries each day, theis is a very time consuming task to do manually.

Upvote 0
Well Dave, this may just be a case of my ignorance, but I didn't think I could use the subtotals function without knowing exactly which cells I wanted the subtotals from???

Upvote 0
OK Dave, I see what that does now. I don't have my file here at home, but I tried the function you suggested, and it may just do it. I was not familiar with the subtotal function and misunderstood what it did.
Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try at work tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Perry,

What Dave is saying is sort the data on column B so they are grouped together, then use ths Data|Subtotal menu option to sub-total column D at each change in column B

Richard

I see you got the idea just as I was clarifying. All's well that ends well. Hope it's what you want.

Richard
This message was edited by RichardS on 2002-03-26 19:25

Upvote 0
The subtotal function works great for grouping my totals, but the next problem is that I need to move that total to another page to chart it too. Is there a way to do this without knowing which cells my totals are in, or do I need to attack this from a different angle?
Always a new twist the problem huh?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back