Easy question, I think....

srcurrie

When using VLOOKUP (which I FINALLY have figured out) I am trying to figure out how to get the cell information to complete after only a couple of letters or numbers are typed. Is this possible?
My current formula is written as:
=vlookup(a1,sales!,a1:c308,2,false)

As usual, many thanks.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Care to give a couple of exemples of what you mean by: how to get the cell information to complete after only a couple of letters or numbers are typed?

On 2002-03-27 04:37, srcurrie wrote:
When using VLOOKUP (which I FINALLY have figured out) I am trying to figure out how to get the cell information to complete after only a couple of letters or numbers are typed. Is this possible?
My current formula is written as:
=vlookup(a1,sales!,a1:c308,2,false)

As usual, many thanks.
This message was edited by Aladin Akyurek on 2002-03-27 04:47
This message was edited by Aladin Akyurek on 2002-03-27 04:59

Upvote 0
Aladin,
If I was typing lets say (detector), as the part number in the A1 cell, after typing (det) (detector) would automatically come up.
Disregard parentheses.

Upvote 0
Have you explored the Data>Validation>List option? You could use drop down list instead of typing.

Upvote 0
It can if you first Name the Range and in the Formula bar of Validation Box put =MyRange (Change to what you call it)

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-27 05:03, srcurrie wrote:
Aladin,
If I was typing lets say (detector), as the part number in the A1 cell, after typing (det) (detector) would automatically come up.
Disregard parentheses.

This can't be done with worksheet functions using the same cell: that's, typing "det" in A1 and changing "det" to "detector" in A1 can't be done with built-in functions.

Besides a VBA solution, you can try using a dropdown list in A1 from which to select an entry that you can then feed to the VLOOKUP formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back