An Easter Challange

Ian Mac

MrExcel MVP
More of a challenge than for myself (in fact it's not for myself).

Can anyone think of a way to work out seemingly illogical differences in numbers.

The reason I ask and further clarification is that we all know that Celsius to Fahrenheit is ((Number*9)/5)+32 (well, if you didn't, you all do now)

If you had say a sample set of numbers C in ColumnA and F in ColumnB and you didn't know the logical reasons for the difference in them. Is possible to program Excel in such a way that it will return the most logical formula. Say return an equation in a disired cell

Anyone get that?

This message was edited by Ian Mac on 2002-03-28 11:16

On 2002-03-27 15:48, Anonymousity wrote:
On 2002-03-27 15:35, Joe Was wrote:
It may be an easier coding task given a table of C temp and corresponding F temps to convert one value to the other, without knowing the formula. Rather than code a solution that delivers the formula for the conversion. JSW

But then you would not know how to convert a temperature unless it were in the table.

The original question is find the formula from the data, so the presupposition is: we do not know the formula. (Did we miss the point?) JSW

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
But then you would not know how to convert a temperature unless it were in the table.
The original question is find the formula from the data, so the presupposition is: we do not know the formula. (Did we miss the point?) JSW

Not at all, you are correct, my last post explains that I was looking at sequences that people have ALREADY applied a logical formula to, what was that formula?
My orginal post, expanded that idea a little too far I fear!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apwr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back