Need to be able to hide and pull-down rows

Noir

On my spreadsheet i list computer configurations. Each configuration consists of 2 things;

1.A header line (eg: Dell Poweredge Server, Config#1) - Cell number a2
2.The individual components that are installed within the Dell Poweredge system (eg:Kingston memory, 18GB HDD, Sony CD, etc - cell numbers a3,a4,a5,a6,etc).

Each component will have it's own row but, i would like to have the component rows somehow collapse or hide under the main header line until i am ready to pull them out. I need to save space on my spreadsheet and do not need the component rows to show all the time. But, i do need them to be printable when i do pull them out.

Please advise.

Thx,
Noir

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Hi there,

A simple solution would be to put a character in column B (or some other column) and then autofilter on that. For example enter a 1 on each of your header rows. If you don't want to see these characters, make the font white and exclude the column from the print area.

Hope this helps.

Rgds
Alex

Upvote 0
Good one AJ !

Also, there's "grouping".....

First : highlight the first range of details rows that you want to hide under your first product

then from the menus :

data
group and outline
group

second: repeat this for all your detailed rows under your products

Excel will insert a [1] and a [2] in your left margin and underneath with show the scope of your new groupings - nothing much looks different at this point, but when you click on the [1] at the top, it consatinas your spreadsheet into just the product headers you are interested in

a very useful tool : it also works horizontally

handy for grouping months by quarter if you want to then hide then, or account numbers into balance sheet, income, salary, expense and suspense accounts then hide the detail

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back