Text problems

GordNYC

1st. In cell G10, I have a to-from destinations. Eg LAX-SFO-DEN.
I would like to have the “-“ indicate that cells I10:R10 should be added together and the total put in cell T10.

2nd. At the bottom of a column where I have a total, I would like to have this sum automatically sent to the top of the next page, in the first cell, in the corresponding column. Should I do this on the same sheet or make another sheet?

I am using Excell 2000
I am trying to make a log book.
I have tried every fx that I can think of

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
no replies....

I assume these are all Flight locations ?

is all your conditional data the same 11 character format ?

ie AAA-BBB-CCC

and LHT-PAF-BOL

or could some be direct flights ? : LAX-NYC

and LHT-BOL ?

for example....

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response.

That is correct. These are destinations and I may have AAA-BBB, AAA-BBB-CCC or even four destinations. To complicate matters, some data in a cell in the same column might not be a destination but read “Training”.

I don’t know if you can help but I do appreciate the reply.

Thanks Gord

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-27 09:22, GordNYC wrote:
1st. In cell G10, I have a to-from destinations. Eg LAX-SFO-DEN.
I would like to have the “-“ indicate that cells I10:R10 should be added together and the total put in cell T10.

2nd. At the bottom of a column where I have a total, I would like to have this sum automatically sent to the top of the next page, in the first cell, in the corresponding column. Should I do this on the same sheet or make another sheet?

I am using Excell 2000
I am trying to make a log book.
I have tried every fx that I can think of

In T10 enter:

=ISNUMBER(SEARCH("-",G10))*SUM(I10:R10)

Is this what you're looking for?

Upvote 0
2nd part :

(assuming your original sheet was called "flights")

in A1 on your new sheet, enter :

=INDEX(flights!A:A,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,flights!A:A))

and copy across as many columns as needed

(I'm assuming you just meant a different sheet, as opposed to the sheet with your above "-" formula in T1)

also, I borrowed this from Aladin's often-used solution, so he's technically answered both questions :)

Upvote 0
Thanks to Chris and Aladin.
Very nice of you to reply.
The formula; =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("-",G10))*SUM(I10:R10) worked like a charm.
I was trying to do it with a text function.

The formula; =INDEX(flights!A:A,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,flights!A:A))
I have not yet used. I don’t know if I am going to repeat these pages on the same sheet or use individual sheets for each page of log.

Thanks again

Gord

Upvote 0
I have tried the formula, =INDEX(flights!A:A,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,flights!A:A))
It does not seem to work. I may be using it incorrectly, but it is probably due to my poor description.

On sheet One, my template, which I need to copy many times, contains columns G:W.
In row 5 of these columns are the totals that are brought forward from the previous page (or sheet, I do not know which would be easier). The totals on the preceding page are in columns G:W, row 27.

I could just copy and past the totals from G:W row 27 from the preceding page, onto the active page/sheet Into G:W row 5.
It would take a great deal of time and I do not think it is the proper way of doing it.

Any Ideas?

Thank you again for your help.

GordNYC

Upvote 0
On sheet One, my template, which I need to copy many times, contains columns G:W.
In row 5 of these columns are the totals that are brought forward from the previous page (or sheet, I do not know which would be easier). The totals on the preceding page are in columns G:W, row 27.

I could just copy and past the totals from G:W row 27 from the preceding page, onto the active page/sheet Into G:W row 5.
It would take a great deal of time and I do not think it is the proper way of doing it.

Any Ideas?

In G5 of the "active page", that is, in the destination sheet enter:

=INDEX(Source!$G$27:$W$27,COLUMN()-6)

and copy across to W5 in the destination sheet. Substitute the actual name of the sheet for 'Source'.

Aladin
This message was edited by Aladin Akyurek on 2002-03-31 09:33

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back