Filepath not working with Vlookup

angiemeh

Board Regular
I have 2 files open. File 1 = Just supplier (there are many, File1A_month1,File1A_month2, File1B_month1,File1B_month2... File1C etc)
File 2 = All suppliers (each supplier on separate tab with month)

I will have to do multiple instances of this for multiple months. When both File 1 & File 2 are open- no problem. When File 1 is closed and File 2 is trying to reference it, I have an issue.File 2 has the Vlookup formula in it. It is the file with each supplier as a separate tab.

I'm using Indirect because I have File 2 with each supplier in a separate tab and I have to reference each to its parent file and month. So if I have tab SupplierA_July, I want a formula that looks up the item # and goes to correct File (matching company & month) and pulls back data in column 8. I then want to copy this formula for SupplierB_july, SupplierC_july etc.....then want to do the same for Aug, and other months. I would have to do so many separate Vlookup formulas for each tab. I thought using indirect, I could use one formula for everything:

Here is my formula:
=VLOOKUP($B9,INDIRECT("["&$C$1&".xls]"&$B$1&"!$B$4:$J$47"),8,"FALSE")
B9= Item #
C1 = tab name (from other file)
B1= File name (from other file)

That translates to:
=Vlookup(Item_number,[File1Name.xls]File1_tabname'!$B$4:$i$47,8,false)
(This one Works)- it looks at Item# in file 2(B9), finds Item# in File 1 and gives me the 8th value from Column B:

This does not work:
VLOOKUP($B9,INDIRECT("'"&"C:\CUSTOMERS\ClientFolder\Categories\Category\Individual Suppliers\"&"["&$C$1&".xls]"&$B$1&"!$B$4:$J$47"),8,"FALSE")

I have over 50 files similar to File 1, they are each an individual supplier. File 2 has all items all suppliers, each supplier in a separate tab. I have a formula in file 2 on each tab that looks up the tab name and month and I want it to vlookup from the File with that tab name. So file 2 may have tab1=Client1_Jan and tab2=Client2_Feb... So I can copy the same formula from tab to tab I want to say vlookup(item#, from client&month file, 8,false)

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
angiemeh,

Try adding the single apostrophe, ', before the !

=VLOOKUP($B9,INDIRECT("'"&"C:\CUSTOMERS\ClientFolder\Categories\Category\Individual Suppliers\"&"["&$C$1&".xls]"&$B$1&"'!$B$4:$J$47"),8,"FALSE")

Have a great day,
Stan

Upvote 0
I did this, but it didn't work. The more I'm reading, Indirect has an issue with a closed workbook. I found a website that has a morefunction add-in called Indirect.exe and I installed this.

I can't really do a Vlookup with it (haven't figured that part out) but referencing a closed workbook seems to work. I think this will be a workaround for now

I'm in 2003, does anyone know if this is fixed in 07?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
The behaviour is the same in 2007.
Just as a warning, I have had some issues with the INDIRECT.EXT function returning incorrect values in the past.

Upvote 0
I'm a little scared if Indirect.exe pulls incorrect values, I'm working on something and we can't make a mistake on it. Thanks for the warning!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back