Multiple SUBSTITUTE Functions

AndrewKent

Is there a way to structure Multiple SUBSTITUTE Functions? I have two values in a text body within a cell that I want to change, this works...

=SUBSTITUTE(B26,"Amount",$H$8)

...however I want to include "Name" (Which is linked to H7) as well.

Andy

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Brilliant, thanks!

I need some help PLEASE?!?!?!?!

I did some excel training what seems like over ten years ago, and boy have things changed a little :mad:

I am trying to make a recipe sort of sheet for my daughters, but im stuck.

in column B I wish to enter g, ts, tb, c, m, and for it to appear as grams, teaspoons, tablespoons, cups, mls

im sure there is a really easy way to make it happen, but alas, I have not found it lol otherwise its a lot of typing for me!

I guess thats it, will thank anyone in advance for a reply or help - THANKS :)

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

I'm assuming that you want the longer words to actually replace what you type in column B.
(If you didn't need that and would be happy with the full words appearing in, say, column C then you could use a VLOOKUP formula in column C)

A. You could (I'm not recommending this) add AutoCorrect entries to change "c" to "cups" etc. This is simple enough to do BUT would mean "c" changing to "cups" in any column in any spreadsheet or any other Office program until you remembered to go back in and delete those AutoCorrect entries. Way too risky in my mind! :eek:

B. Better option, but does require macros to be enabled and your file saved as a macro-enabled file (.xlsm) if using Excel 2007 or later.
This option assumes that column B only gets the g, c etc. That is if you want 3 cups, you would put the "3" in column A and the "c" in column B
To implement ..

1. Right click the sheet name tab and choose "View Code".

2. Copy and Paste the code below into the main right hand pane that opens at step 1.

3. Close the Visual Basic window and test.
Code:
Option Explicit
Option Base 1

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  Dim Abbrev
  Dim changed As Range, c As Range
  Dim m As Variant

Const AbbrevCol As String = "B"

Set changed = Intersect(Target, Columns(AbbrevCol))
  If Not changed Is Nothing Then
    Abbrev = Array("g", "grams", "ts", "teaspoons", "tb", "tablespoons", "c", "cups", "m", "mls")
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    For Each c In changed
      m = Application.Match(c.Value, Abbrev, False)
      If IsNumeric(m) Then
        If m Mod 2 = 1 Then
          c.Value = Abbrev(m + 1)
        End If
      End If
    Next c
    Application.EnableEvents = True
  End If
End Sub

If I haven't guessed well enough what you want, post back with more details.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

I'm assuming that you want the longer words to actually replace what you type in column B.
(If you didn't need that and would be happy with the full words appearing in, say, column C then you could use a VLOOKUP formula in column C)

A. You could (I'm not recommending this) add AutoCorrect entries to change "c" to "cups" etc. This is simple enough to do BUT would mean "c" changing to "cups" in any column in any spreadsheet or any other Office program until you remembered to go back in and delete those AutoCorrect entries. Way too risky in my mind! :eek:

B. Better option, but does require macros to be enabled and your file saved as a macro-enabled file (.xlsm) if using Excel 2007 or later.
This option assumes that column B only gets the g, c etc. That is if you want 3 cups, you would put the "3" in column A and the "c" in column B
To implement ..

1. Right click the sheet name tab and choose "View Code".

2. Copy and Paste the code below into the main right hand pane that opens at step 1.

3. Close the Visual Basic window and test.
Code:
Option Explicit
Option Base 1

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  Dim Abbrev
  Dim changed As Range, c As Range
  Dim m As Variant

Const AbbrevCol As String = "B"

Set changed = Intersect(Target, Columns(AbbrevCol))
  If Not changed Is Nothing Then
    Abbrev = Array("g", "grams", "ts", "teaspoons", "tb", "tablespoons", "c", "cups", "m", "mls")
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    For Each c In changed
      m = Application.Match(c.Value, Abbrev, False)
      If IsNumeric(m) Then
        If m Mod 2 = 1 Then
          c.Value = Abbrev(m + 1)
        End If
      End If
    Next c
    Application.EnableEvents = True
  End If
End Sub

If I haven't guessed well enough what you want, post back with more details.
Very nice approach.

Upvote 0
@Peter_SSs,
I have a similar situation requiring your assistance, relative to a makeshift find/replace/decoding scenario. I have a list of characters (alpha, numeric and otherwise) in column A. I have the characters they need to be replaced with in column B. Finally, I have the text in column C. In this formula I require each character within text in column C to be replaced to with the corresponding characters based on the table in columns A and B. For example, the text 15KI is in cell C2. Cell A2 indicates 1, cell B2 indicates X, cell A3 indicates 5, cell B3 indicates U, cell A4 indicates K, cell B4 indicates 6, cell A5 indicates I, cell B5 indicates 8, and so on with all possible characters indicated in column C. So, the output (in column D2, or wherever) would be XU68. A few points: the text in column C can have anywhere from 1 to 15 total characters. The number of rows in columns A and B are 38 (including headers). Please assist. situation requiring your assistance, relative to a makeshift find/replace/decoding scenario. I have a list of characters (alpha, numeric and otherwise) in column A. I have the characters they need to be replaced with in column B. Finally, I have the text in column C. In this formula I require each character within text in column C to be replaced to with the corresponding characters based on the table in columns A and B. For example, the text 15KI is in cell C2. Cell A2 indicates 1, cell B2 indicates X, cell A3 indicates 5, cell B3 indicates U, cell A4 indicates K, cell B4 indicates 6, cell A5 indicates I, cell B5 indicates 8, and so on with all possible characters indicated in column C. So, the output (in column D2, or wherever) would be XU68. A few points: the text in column C can have anywhere from 1 to 15 total characters. The number of rows in columns A and B are 38 (including headers). Please assist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Peter_SSs,
I have a similar situation requiring your assistance, relative to a makeshift find/replace/decoding scenario. I have a list of characters (alpha, numeric and otherwise) in column A. I have the characters they need to be replaced with in column B. Finally, I have the text in column C. In this formula I require each character within text in column C to be replaced to with the corresponding characters based on the table in columns A and B. For example, the text 15KI is in cell C2. Cell A2 indicates 1, cell B2 indicates X, cell A3 indicates 5, cell B3 indicates U, cell A4 indicates K, cell B4 indicates 6, cell A5 indicates I, cell B5 indicates 8, and so on with all possible characters indicated in column C. So, the output (in column D2, or wherever) would be XU68. A few points: the text in column C can have anywhere from 1 to 15 total characters. The number of rows in columns A and B are 38 (including headers). Please assist. situation requiring your assistance, relative to a makeshift find/replace/decoding scenario. I have a list of characters (alpha, numeric and otherwise) in column A. I have the characters they need to be replaced with in column B. Finally, I have the text in column C. In this formula I require each character within text in column C to be replaced to with the corresponding characters based on the table in columns A and B. For example, the text 15KI is in cell C2. Cell A2 indicates 1, cell B2 indicates X, cell A3 indicates 5, cell B3 indicates U, cell A4 indicates K, cell B4 indicates 6, cell A5 indicates I, cell B5 indicates 8, and so on with all possible characters indicated in column C. So, the output (in column D2, or wherever) would be XU68. A few points: the text in column C can have anywhere from 1 to 15 total characters. The number of rows in columns A and B are 38 (including headers). Please assist.

I think it would be useful to show us your full list with their substitutions. What I am concerned about is the possibility of changing one thing only to have a later substitution change it to something else. While the odds are slim that you list will do that, it is better to know now than have you query back that something isn't working right.

Upvote 0
OriginalNew
0J
1I
2H
3G
4F
5E
6D
7C
8B
9A
A1
B2
C3
D4
E5
F6
G7
H8
I9
J0
KZ
LY
MX
NW
OV
PU
QT
RS
SR
TQ
UP
VO
WN
XM
YL
ZK

<COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" span=2 width=64><TBODY>
</TBODY>

Upvote 0
Code:
Function rd(ByVal sInp As String) As String
    Dim i           As Long
    Dim sChr        As String

sInp = UCase(sInp)

For i = 1 To Len(sInp)
        sChr = Mid(sInp, i, 1)
        Select Case sChr
            Case "0" To "9"
                rd = rd & Chr(Asc("J") - Asc(sChr) + Asc("0"))
            Case "A" To "I"
                rd = rd & Chr(Asc(sChr) - Asc("A") + Asc("1"))
            Case "J"
                rd = rd & "0"
            Case "K" To "Z"
                rd = rd & Chr(Asc("Z") - Asc(sChr) + Asc("K"))
            Case "-"
                rd = rd & "."
            Case Else
                rd = rd & sChr
        End Select
    Next i
End Function

A​
B​
1​
Now is the time for all good men
2​
WVN 9R Q85 Q9X5 6VS 1YY 7VV4 X5WA2: =rd(A1)

Looks like license plates ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back