Lock a worksheet tab so it is always visible

Bolter LAC

Board Regular
Hello, I need to lock a worksheet tab (Main menu) in place so that it is always visible. There are multiple tabs that are all linked to the main menu by hyperlink. When work is finished in a worksheet I want the main menu tab to be visible and usable rather than using the scroll functions to get back to the main menu.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
I did not understand your explanation.

Perhaps what you want is: Excel Menubar --> Tools --> Protection --> Protect Workbook - which will protect the workbook tabs from being deleted ?

Upvote 0
Stormseed,

I have a main menu page which contains the names of 90 junior athletes. Each name is hyperlinked to an individuals worksheet which contains performance recordings for each athlete. Once data is entered in an individuals worksheet I then need to get back to the main menu. At present I have to use the scroll key. I want to lock the main menu into position 1 of the worksheet tabs for ease of return to the main menu. I think this may still be confusing, we will see.

Upvote 0
Oh ok !

You want the top of the page (heading) to be stuck onto one particular position, correct ?

Say, you have the link to the main page on rown number 2 - then click or select A3 --> next, select the whole row (row number 3) on your worksheet and then on the excel menubar, click Window --> Freeze Panes.

Does this solve your problem ?

Upvote 0
Stormseed,

I think I may have led you and others along the wrong path. I am talking about the spreadsheet tabs along the bottom (new worksheet tab area) of the excel workbook. Eg when you make a new worksheet in the workbook file and name the sheet eg sheet 1, sheet 2, sheet 3. I want worksheet 1 which I have named main menu to remain visible (lock it in place if possible) so I can click on it any time that I want. Rather than having to scroll across the tabs (at the bottom) using the scroll key. I know there is only a difference of two clicks on the mouse however when you have 30 kids lined up it takes its toll. Clear as mud!!!!!!! Sorry.

Upvote 0
Hi Bolter LAC

I am sorry, I do not know the answer to your question.

You can google your question with these keywords "Freeze Worksheet tabs" - I am sure that you will receive favourable pages.

Moreover, I was able to hit one of the pages in our (MrExcel) search archive but that thread just mentions one resolution - to create a macro, here is the link:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344031

Upvote 0
Hi Bolter

Rather than go the macro or vba route (which, by the way Stormseed, I did not find as your link was to another post altogether), I would suggest you put a hyperlink at the top of each child tab which could take you to the parent tab.

I have not personally come across anything that allows tabs to be frozen, but then, like in most things, I will no doubt be proven wrong in the forum. :)

Second option - right click in the arrows to the left of the tab names and a list of the first 15 tabs opens up. The parent tab will always be first, hence always the first in the list.

Third option - macro route : record a macro to go to cell A1 (or wherever) in the main tab. Assign this a shortcut key.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The way I take your question is that with so many tabs, Main is way back at the start, you would like to lock that tab in position so that when other tabs are scrolled, Main is still and always visible for an easy click without scrolling the tabs to get to it correct?

Upvote 0
Tried to edit but was too late -

Option 3b could be assigning it to a button on the toolbar instead of to the shortcut key - your preference.

Hope this helped.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back