Grading on a Curve - Formula question

weefisheads

I'm trying to help a friend that is a teacher and wants to make a spreadsheet that grades on a curve.

I've seached and found the following -

assuming Grades are in A10:A20, then (A10-AVERAGE(A$10:A$20))/STDEV(A$10:A$20) gives the standard deviation of a particular score.

Also, I found something that said a distribution for grades would look something like this -

-3.25 F
-1.5 D
-1 C
0.1 B
1.1 A

THEREFORE, =VLOOKUP((A10-AVERAGE(A$10:A$20))/STDEV(A$10:A$20), $X$3:$Y$7,2) yields a grade for the score in A10. Using this, I get pretty much the distribution I want - 10-15% A's, 30-40% B's, 30-40% C's, 10-15% D's and F's.

My challenge is to convert the StdDev into actual Scores, not just grades. At the end of the year, it's hard to calculate 10 A's, 5 B's, 1 C, so it would be great to assign an actual score BASED ON A CURVE. Essentially, for each quiz, the score they get might be a 40, but based on a curve their score might actually be a 95 or whatever since the 40 was the highest score. I could assign an F a 50, a D a 60, a C a 70, etc, but I'm curious if there is a way to assign a score to every number between 1 and 100. So -4 StdDev is a 1, a -3.95 is a 2, all the way to anything greater than 1.5 is an A+.

Is there a formula that could do this or even a lookup table that would have the right increments? Or am I completely off or totally bonkers.

I'd appreciate any suggestions

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
I may be off base, but I don't think you need the standard deviations to do this - I think you just need to rescale the scores.

Eg if you have scores between 5 and 40, and you want them to be between 10 and 95 then:

Excel Workbook
AB
1OriginalNew score
Sheet1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back