Excel eating up memory!!

charlie79

Board Regular
I'm not sure if anyone out there is familiar with PI-Processbook, or PI-Datalink, or PI-Batchview... But here's my prob. I've created an excel app that uses PI-Datalink and PI-Batchview to capture data. From there, I do calculations on the data. I also have an automatic refresh built in through the Application.Ontime event (refreshes sheet range every five secs). When I look at how much memory my excel app is using through task manager (this app will run in xl97 & 2000, on win NT & 2000) it's using up to 18 or 19 mg of memory. Upon startup, it's using 12 or 13 mg. Is this ordinary, I don't think it is??? Please help....

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Charlie -
Does the spreadsheet run OK otherwise? Are there any other symptoms?

I have a spreadsheet that receives data downloads from another app, and does updates (calc's and macros) triggered by a worksheet change event (when the data downloads). If the PC is taxed from some other activity, the macro's spontanously pause. This is a W98 symptom, and it doesn't occur on a W2000 machine. I suspect a memory-management problem, but that's speculation.
Tom

Upvote 0
It does not have other symptons per say, other than the ones directly related. Other tasks cannot be performed at the same time. This app is going to be running on workstations that are low on physical memory to begin with, 32 mg. Trying to copy to the clipboard for example creates an "Out of Memory" Windows error. This is in excel 97 on win Nt 4.0. I am doing calls to text files and access databases, but I've gone through the code and can assure you everything is being cleaned up properly... Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
Hi

A bit l;ate buty this might help all who read

In the trade thisis called dirty memory! that means Windows is comfused (not hard i know)

To cure it is simple. save the file can cold boot (that means switch off amke a nice coffe and reboot on return) that way all locked memory data will be lost, ie clipboard will be dead.

Windows sometimes has a nack of not dropping clip data from memory. In XP you have 8 clips or is it six?? which all allow different clips, nice! so it not the same but pre XP this is common place.

CAUTION Office or should i say Excel XP only runs on Windows XP no other OP's and demends goods PD specs

also this can be highlighted by Prirate if you running E2000 on win 95 or 98 ??? whos that they never shipped together, so i guess you must have spend 650GPB or 1000USD to buy, ermmmm

this will also haoppenas these versions are not ment to be, work they will but someday soon they will conflict and be a pain.

Always use correct versions with compatible OP's, and patch is a must SR1 and 2 and so on.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back