Graph an Equation in Excel 2007

Michael Danielson

I am trying to graph an equation in Excel 2007.

There are a couple of examples using named ranges that I have tried from the internet that don't seem to work. They both were "programmed" in Excel 4 so it may be related to the difference between these two versions.

1 simple equation I am trying to graph is y=(4.18T)-(760/t). I would like to be able to change the starting x value and ending x value as well as the number of data points to graph.

(This is easy to do on a graphing calculator so I would think that Excel could do it)

Thanks,
Mike

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Thank you for the welcome. I have been a lurker on this board for a while now.

I tried both the Stephen Bullen example and the Jan Karel Pieterse example. I get an error message when I open the workbook and also when I try to change the formula to the one I want to use. ("A formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references.")

I also tried to recreate it from scratch using his word document but I get the same error message. I have not found any references that look incorrect according to the instructions.

Have any of you tried to use either of these in Excel 2007?

Thanks for your willingness to help,
Mike

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well so far I have been unsuccessful at getting an equation to graph. Does anyone have any other suggestions or things they have tried that have worked?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Mike ... I'm really not sure what's up with XL07... it's got some new charting stuff and perhaps your difficulties are version specific. Meanwhile charting equations in XL03 ain't that hard. If you could maybe indicate what, if any, values "t" and "T" mean in your equation... y=(4.18T)-(760/t) then we would have a starting point. Also I will add that when charting an equation the "Y" value always equals some point on the "X" axis and is therefore ALWAYS a function of "X" even though your "X" value is achieved by an equation that excludes "X". Dave

Upvote 0
Designed to plot an equation...
PLOT manager
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/plot_manager/index.html

You can also adapt to your own function the the three ways I show to plot a normal distribution in
Drawing a Normal curve
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/normal_distribution/index.htm

I am trying to graph an equation in Excel 2007.

There are a couple of examples using named ranges that I have tried from the internet that don't seem to work. They both were "programmed" in Excel 4 so it may be related to the difference between these two versions.

1 simple equation I am trying to graph is y=(4.18T)-(760/t). I would like to be able to change the starting x value and ending x value as well as the number of data points to graph.

(This is easy to do on a graphing calculator so I would think that Excel could do it)

Thanks,
Mike

Upvote 0
Make sure that you don't have any settings that would disable macros. Many times in Excel 2007, a message bar will appear when you open the file that will allow you to enable macros.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back