Appending Excel Data into Access Database

ToNWoN

I'm stumped on a problem and hoping someone out there can give me some pointers. It deals with both MS Access and Excel. Here goes:

I have an Access database with 20,000 rows of Item Numbers, and an Excel spreadsheet of 5,000 rows with Item Numbers. I have to search through the rows of Item Numbers in Access and see if they match with an item number in Excel. If the item number from Access matches with an item number in Excel, I have to append the entire row of data from Excel into the corresponding row in Access.

On top of this, I'm supposed to flag the row with a matching Item Number in Excel if a match occurs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
You can import the excel file into your access database as a new table. this can be done by going to "get external data" in the file menu at the top left of the access screen and "import" not link. this will take you through a wizard that will make your excel workbook a table. then you can link the tables and do a query to bring together the information. Really shouldnt be too hard. write back if you need more info.
Casey

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-28 13:16, Casey wrote:
You can import the excel file into your access database as a new table. this can be done by going to "get external data" in the file menu at the top left of the access screen and "import" not link. this will take you through a wizard that will make your excel workbook a table. then you can link the tables and do a query to bring together the information. Really shouldnt be too hard. write back if you need more info.
Casey

Hi Casey:
In reference to your statement of importing a table from excel and then linking it! Technically you can link the excel(list or table) directly into Access without importing it.

Upvote 0
A simple piece of ADO, DAO would handle this quite easily, if your intention is to automate the process, for example if you need to do it very often. If you want me to elaborate then give me some more precise details (especially the access table fields and data types).

If you do not need to do it very often then the manual processes would work fine.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back