Using Conditional statements

professor02

I have a main list (list1) of numbers (ex. xxx-yyy) that I am comparing to another list of numbers (list2). First, I need to see if any numbers in list2 match any numbers in list1 so I used =IF(D5=VLOOKUP(D5,A$5:A$42,1),"GO","STOP"). The next step is if the first condition is satisfied ("GO"), then I need to compare the corresponding yyy of list2 to list1. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
On 2002-03-28 13:24, professor02 wrote:
I have a main list (list1) of numbers (ex. xxx-yyy) that I am comparing to another list of numbers (list2). First, I need to see if any numbers in list2 match any numbers in list1 so I used =IF(D5=VLOOKUP(D5,A$5:A$42,1),"GO","STOP"). The next step is if the first condition is satisfied ("GO"), then I need to compare the corresponding yyy of list2 to list1. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, the way you are using VLOOKUP will match the largest value that is less than or equal to the value in D5. To make sure you get an exact match, you need to include the 4th argument, which is TRUE or FALSE (or 1 or 0, respectively). The formula I have below is totally redundant, but shows what you're trying to do.

If a VLOOKUP does not find a match (with the 4th argument as False, or zero), it will return #N/A. You can use ISNA to see if the VLOOKUP function returns #N/A (i.e., it doesn't find a match).

So, what the formula below says is:

If the first Lookup doesn't find a match then return "Not Found", else (there was a match) check this number again with vlookup...if it doesn't return a match, then put "Not Found", else put "Found". Like I said, my example is redundant in that it checks the same number twice against the same array. But hopefully it illustrates how to do what you want. Hope it helps. Formula below.

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B2,Sheet3!$A$1:$A$6,1,0)),"Not Found",IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B2,Sheet3!A1:A6,1,0)),"Not Found","Found"))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back