Auto numbering stop

andem

I have an Excel document with over 960 items. In a column I used for numbering the items, each time a group of items was added I was pulling down from the corner to auto-number. When I reached 958 suddenly I was no longer able to do this. When I place the cursor over the lower right corner of the cell now it does not change to a cross. Also I am no longer able to change the print area by dragging down the dark blue line at the bottom of the previously set print area.
I'm sure there must be a simple explanation for this but I haven't been able to find it.
Thanks for any help.
(BTW- I just found your site and can't wait until I have some time to sift through the archives. I couldn't find a way to search for references to this particular question though.)
Andem

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
I'd suggest, instead of filling out everything again, just use this formula from A2 and below. That way you can just drag the last one everytime you add something.

=A1+1

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for the quick response. The work around sounds great to me as the idea of plugging in each number was not a thrill.

As for the question of memory- I don't know really. I have 512 MB of memory in this machine which should take care of it; however, I recently switched to Windows XP and have had problems several times with Photoshop that seemed to relate to memory. It was saying it didn't have enough scratch disk space (absurd since it had over 20G clear) but shouldn't have even had to go to the scratch disk if it had been using the memory properly. Maybe???? I seem to be a record holder when it comes to generating computer problems.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back