Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Auto numbering stop

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an Excel document with over 960 items. In a column I used for numbering the items, each time a group of items was added I was pulling down from the corner to auto-number. When I reached 958 suddenly I was no longer able to do this. When I place the cursor over the lower right corner of the cell now it does not change to a cross. Also I am no longer able to change the print area by dragging down the dark blue line at the bottom of the previously set print area.
    I'm sure there must be a simple explanation for this but I haven't been able to find it.
    Thanks for any help.
    (BTW- I just found your site and can't wait until I have some time to sift through the archives. I couldn't find a way to search for references to this particular question though.)
    Andem

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd suggest, instead of filling out everything again, just use this formula from A2 and below. That way you can just drag the last one everytime you add something.

=A1+1
    Regards,

Juan Pablo González
    http://www.juanpg.com

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, couldn't replicate your problem... may be a memory issue then ?
    Regards,

Juan Pablo González
    http://www.juanpg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys for the quick response. The work around sounds great to me as the idea of plugging in each number was not a thrill.

As for the question of memory- I don't know really. I have 512 MB of memory in this machine which should take care of it; however, I recently switched to Windows XP and have had problems several times with Photoshop that seemed to relate to memory. It was saying it didn't have enough scratch disk space (absurd since it had over 20G clear) but shouldn't have even had to go to the scratch disk if it had been using the memory properly. Maybe???? I seem to be a record holder when it comes to generating computer problems.

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others