full of problems!!!

edsjr

I know I am asking bunches of questions but here goes another one..........

I imported a large text document into excel, all of the pages have a header on them (like 800 pages). How do I remove all of the headers in one easy task? Basically I have multiple rows at the top of each page to delete.

Thanks
Ed.
This message was edited by edsjr on 2002-03-28 18:28

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Hi Ed

RE: I know I am asking bunches of questions but here goes another one..........

That's the idea, don't feel guilty!

The very first step of the Import Text Wizard allows you to specify whic Row to start at, just change this to suit.

Upvote 0
i cant tell you how many times i have imported text files into excel and i have never even noticed that part of the box! will that get rid of the header on the first page or will it take care of all of the headers on all the pages?

thanks
Ed.

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-28 18:27, edsjr wrote:

I imported a large text document into excel, all of the pages have a header on them (like 800 pages). How do I remove all of the headers in one easy task? Basically I have multiple rows at the top of each page to delete.

Thanks
Ed.

It would make your life much easier if you could obtain a "comma delimited" file, check with who ever provided the file.

I was never able to solve this problem, I used to sort the data by a particular column that would pull all the header data together. then apply filters and select the data I wanted to remove. If you try recording a Macro you risk losing data, I used to record the import right up to the sort then I'd do the rest manually.

But I'd be curious to know if some one has a solution.

Upvote 0
I tried to do it by telling it to start at row #17 (first line of real data) and it only got rid of the header on the first page. I am providing this file myself, it is coming from my invoicing system.

thanks
Ed.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I got mixed up, my problem included detail headers, with varying lengths of detail. They're the ones I had difficulty removing.

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-28 18:27, edsjr wrote:

Thanks
Ed.

Ed.
If the first cell in every row you want to preserve contains numeric data, then you can use a VB code to check the first cell in every row and delete the whole row if it is not numeric.
This worked for me and deleted almost all the unwanted headers.
Eli
This message was edited by eliW on 2002-03-29 00:06

Upvote 0
I recognize the problem. Usually, I solve it by using the autofilter command. This presupposes that the headers differ from the rest of your document. Filter the columns so that you only get to see the headers, select them all and delete them.

Marc

Upvote 0
I will try it tonight and see what I come up with. Is there a good place to learn how to use these functions? Trial and error has been my main way to learn how to use Excel, thank god for the "undo" button!

Ed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back