Wrapping

Chris Davison

MrExcel MVP
hmmmm.... not sure if this can be exploited or not (in terms of extra columns and rows)

but, if you create a named formula in B1, say :

=a1*1.125

when you copy it to a1, the formula becomes

=iv1*1.125

it wraps it round to column IV....

ditto columns.... it wraps the formula to row 65,536

..... potentially useful ?

Chris
This message was edited by Chris Davison on 2002-03-29 05:44
This message was edited by Chris Davison on 2002-03-29 05:45

well if it helps im often heard to say i use nick leesons calculator! and i work in finanace and IT!

but its true many of my post bang on about version compatability and all the rest....

Its tru no very many of us know the version we run of do you know the build number to that version it all counts.

Not many know the 50 odd top formulas and understand them enough to use them.

Bar a few gurus on this board we all need and can learn much, but its about watching and listening.

We are truly blessed we have forumla guys BEST in the world and programmes BEST in the work log in to this site and help... we all are exposed the the best its our call how far we go, but that takes millions of hours and billions of hours of practice,

Aladin.. they are playing games and being silly. im sure .. just fun.. playing arround..

Chris.. this is not a surprise?? im dont see your point care to open up a bit, what are you trying to do, or is it a case of tip post in which case spot on.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
it was just an observation of something I was very surprised to see.... where I expected an REF! error, I got a wrapping from column A to column IV as if the sheet were cylindrical....

then when I tried it up and down, rather than another error, I got a wrapping to row 65,536 - again as if it were cylindrical....

I'd never seen this behaviour before in any function (remembering the specific comments in the help file of "OFFSET" about going off the page....)

this named formula behaviour doesn't bother about going off the page, it just jumps back on at the opposite edge

I posted it to see if anyone thought it could be useful somehow - maybe exploiting this behaviour for extending the columns and rows theoretically BEYOND 256 and 65,536

As Aladin's suggested, it's probably not much use, but hey, it's out there, as an open question, on offer to all :)

Upvote 0
Chris

Good call ! you have made me think, tips can be shared here as well as questions and answers and i have learnt that just as i or in this case you know or have found something others can still help..

how cool is that! good stuff.... the poss more RC is intresting thou:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back