ISBLANK - Page 2
Eliminate Pivot Table Annoyances
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: ISBLANK

  1. #11
    MrExcel MVP
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Michigan USA
    Posts
    11,454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

     
    On 2002-03-29 09:17, Aladin Akyurek wrote:
    On 2002-03-29 08:46, Yogi Anand wrote:
    On 2002-03-29 08:17, Aladin Akyurek wrote:
    Yogi & wi_guy,

    Put in one of the target cells,

    =IF(ZX,1,"") [ ZX must be an "untouched" cell ]

    then try the ISBLANK formula you suggested.

    Aladin
    Hi Aladin:
    I see your point that with the scenario you proposed, the affected target cell would appear to be blank -- but it really wouldn't be blank -- it will have a formula in it. So the formula that my cyber-buddy wi_guy and I proposed works as expected. I hope I am not missing some thing here!
    In A1 enter:

    =IF(ZX,1,"") [ ZX must be an "untouched" cell ]

    B1 is a untouched cell (nothing in it)

    C1 is a untouched cell (nothing in it)

    In E1 enter: Great

    In D1 enter:

    =IF(AND(ISBLANK(A1),ISBLANK(B1),ISBLANK(C1)),E1,"")

    Note. What Sharon wants is I think something different, but that's not the issue here.

    What do you get?

    Aladin

    Hi Aladin:
    Keying in the entries as you suggested, the formula in D1 did not yield Great
    But is it not to be expected, because the collection of three cells A1,B1,and C1 is not blank ... even though A1 appears to be blank, it is not -- it has got a formula in it.
    My check of A1 =isblank(A1) ... FALSE
    My Check of B1 =isblank(B1) ... TRUE
    My check of C1 =isblank(C1) ... TRUE

    Now when I deleted the entry in cell A1, the collection of three cells A1,B1,and C1 becoming blank,
    'Great' popped up in cell D1
    Regards!

    Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.
    Energy Efficient Building Network LLC
    www.energyefficientbuild.com

  2. #12
    MrExcel MVP Aladin Akyurek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    The Hague, NL
    Posts
    81,772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    On 2002-03-29 14:34, Yogi Anand wrote:
    On 2002-03-29 09:17, Aladin Akyurek wrote:
    On 2002-03-29 08:46, Yogi Anand wrote:
    On 2002-03-29 08:17, Aladin Akyurek wrote:
    Yogi & wi_guy,

    Put in one of the target cells,

    =IF(ZX,1,"") [ ZX must be an "untouched" cell ]

    then try the ISBLANK formula you suggested.

    Aladin
    Hi Aladin:
    I see your point that with the scenario you proposed, the affected target cell would appear to be blank -- but it really wouldn't be blank -- it will have a formula in it. So the formula that my cyber-buddy wi_guy and I proposed works as expected. I hope I am not missing some thing here!
    In A1 enter:

    =IF(ZX,1,"") [ ZX must be an "untouched" cell ]

    B1 is a untouched cell (nothing in it)

    C1 is a untouched cell (nothing in it)

    In E1 enter: Great

    In D1 enter:

    =IF(AND(ISBLANK(A1),ISBLANK(B1),ISBLANK(C1)),E1,"")

    Note. What Sharon wants is I think something different, but that's not the issue here.

    What do you get?

    Aladin

    Hi Aladin:
    Keying in the entries as you suggested, the formula in D1 did not yield Great
    But is it not to be expected, because the collection of three cells A1,B1,and C1 is not blank ... even though A1 appears to be blank, it is not -- it has got a formula in it.
    My check of A1 =isblank(A1) ... FALSE
    My Check of B1 =isblank(B1) ... TRUE
    My check of C1 =isblank(C1) ... TRUE

    Now when I deleted the entry in cell A1, the collection of three cells A1,B1,and C1 becoming blank,
    'Great' popped up in cell D1
    Yogi,

    It seems you're not disturbed by what you observed. The reasoning you use

    even though A1 appears to be blank, it is not -- it has got a formula in it

    is interesting but, I feel, a bit special:

    I think a computed blank and a blank should not be treated differently: we don't treat a 5 typed in E1 differently from a 5 computed by a formula in E1.

    What do you think?


    [ This Message was edited by: Aladin Akyurek on 2002-04-01 05:46 ]

  3. #13
    MrExcel MVP
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Michigan USA
    Posts
    11,454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi Aladin:
    I appreciate your comments -- I believe what you are saying is that the solutions should be air-tight and tank tough with little ambiguity. However, we also have to keep in mind that the user should not become complacent about what is real even though it may be behind the scenes -- because looks can be deceiving and lead us astray.
    I always admire your insightful comments and solutions!

  4. #14
    Board Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Cape Town,South Africa
    Posts
    234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi Sharon

    Try this
    =IF(OR(LEN(A1),LEN(B1),LEN(C1)),E1,"")



  5. #15
    MrExcel MVP Aladin Akyurek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    The Hague, NL
    Posts
    81,772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

      
    On 2002-04-24 03:21, gareth wrote:
    Hi Sharon [img]/board/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

    Try this
    =IF(OR(LEN(A1),LEN(B1),LEN(C1)),E1,"")
    In which way is this something new or different, given the fact that I suggested eons ago,

    Lets say that A1, B1, and C1 are the cells we want to test for being blank in D1 and E1 contains the relevant text:

    =IF(OR(LEN(A1),LEN(B1),LEN(C1)),E1,"")


    as you can see by examining the complete thread?

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

 
DMCA.com