Why excel uses temp. files??

Todd_M

Board Regular
Hello-
Maybe someone could help me with this. Im relativly new using vba w/ excel. Ive been developing a program using code, userforms and excel spread sheets/charts. I had a problem a couple of days ago when I got a message that my system resources where low, so I closed out of the program and never could open it again. My back up disk for the program wouldn't open either. I rebooted ,tried to reinstall office 2000, and still didnt work. I finally had to format my "C" drive. Upon reinstalling widows 98se and office 2000 the back up disk open like there was nothing wrong! This happend two days ago. Today the same thing happened, but I was able to relize that for some reason I had over 1000+ files in my temp/folder of all excel items. (Cant understand why they were there). After looking at some of there properties I found out most of them were dated today! I deleted my entire temp folder into the recycle bin, then tried to open the excell program and everthing work. So now I have a couple of concerns? Why where all those files there and how did they get there? Why does the excel program not respond when all those files are there and Im not sure if I should continue w/ the program seeing theres no temp file in place. Perhaps someone could give me a clue.

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Hi ==

Lots there to answer, i will say you have gone about this the wrong way thus the *** pain! but not to critisise, i need to know more so ill ask and please respond so we can try to avoid this again.

>>>I got a message that my system resources where low, so I closed out of the program and never could open it again.

OK you use win98se well this OP is dreadful and should never have been released it a try by Mirosoft at ??? I dont know its patch have 850 fixes and that s on a known W98 O??? so that shows a lot. Now resources are managed by Windows not Excel and low resorces are caused simply by to many applications opemn at the same time. I hear a cry of i only had excel open, whats the guy saying. OK if you run Scripts / VBA / Macros rhen windows handels these very badly and has a nasty habbit for then having dirty memory. Not a lot of people know this, but all dims and objects and anything you load into local memory needs to be set to nothing in VBA when no longer needed, tis drops the memory useage and thus less resorces are used. but scripts are not so easy to do that with and no one drop all..

Now them dirty memory will distroy the PC opperation and errors help surface. which is what you have or had.

Close Excel and re open does NOTHING if anything makes it worst.

>>>>My back up disk for the program wouldn't open either.

Thats not a shock and your no know why.

>>I rebooted ,tried to reinstall office 2000, and still didnt work.

Im lost why re install nothing wrong YET that we know is there.

Re boot or as i recoment cold boot ie leave off for 2 minutes before reboot is best, this drops memory allocation. Its wortyh pointing out there are public and private memory allocations, private i feel cause all the agros .... no clear outline to what falls into each catogery i note..

>>I finally had to format my "C" drive.

WHY????? dont do that..... more we can check first.. does word open????

>>>Upon reinstalling widows 98se and office 2000 the back up disk open like there was nothing wrong!

So wheres the shock there you have distroyed the errors so we cant find them, i would pry it worked else the files curupt/

....This happend two days ago. Today the same thing happened, but I was able to relize that for some reason I had over 1000+ files in my temp/folder of all excel items. (Cant understand why they were there).

Thisis a drama, unless its an internet PC and tmp files are important to the PC all can be delete if the dos extention is TMP do not wipe tmp directorys as they have folder which need to stay there, Windows will rebuild tmp files as needed, so yes delete only tmp file extentions ant time you like ie if pc slows up.

>>>After looking at some of there properties I found out most of them were dated today!

No shock internet files of cause will be dated as downloaded, and windows makes tmp files all the time you open files and close them or run software. this is normal. 1000 in 2 day WOW!~ what have you been doing?

....I deleted my entire temp folder into the recycle bin, then tried to open the excell program and everthing work.

OK there are settings in tmp files im not saying which as people will mess about with them, but some will zap resorces and by the way what type of file were there 100 tmp files did you know the names of any like mydoc.xls will be $mydoc.tmp anything look formilua?

>>>Why where all those files there and how did they get there?

As i said above.

Why does the excel program not respond when all those files are there and Im not sure if I should continue w/ the program seeing theres no temp file in place.

{Pss you have virus have you scanned, pointless now as they are gone unless you fdisk in the technical way, as some virus can stay even through formatting, nasty little sod them ones but nothing i can KILL off soon enough.

of cause continue untioll it goes mad again, then we can look more details.. but thats answered what you have posted.

FIX:

VIRUS Sweep every day, if email PC need to be smart.

and back up back up back up.

<<<<<<<<<<<,, just a not i seem to be answering more and more questions like this and no one else seems to?? but i have re read again you post i detect something else

your running W98se with Office 2000 something you need to tell me if you need more advanced help...

these two products are not designed for each other and never were sold as a package on OEM systems, i wonder why and wonder how you have them???

Can i add you check my older posts i answer lots of questions just like this and you get more help from my other answers.

let me know if you need more help..

Chris... maybe i should be IT dept staff like you say and be MVP.. maybe one day for now lets help..

Upvote 0
Hi Jack, I want to thank you for all your comments and answers. First you must know that I have only been working w/ computers for a year or so and excell/vba for a few months. This is why im not familiar with system resources, tempfiles and the damage that I could do just by writing some codes. I guess like everyone else who uses excel, they dream up of ideas that would be usefull to a user to enter information into a spread sheet and inorder to get it working right they try many diffrent ways to do it, like me. Unfortanatly I guess if you to far, things effect other things and boom!!!

OK- I didnt know what else to do two days ago becouse im not an "experianced" user, so thats why I elected to go out and format the "C" drive. Trust me I didnt want to.
I was not aware that win.98 is a bad OS for the use of excell, what do you recomend? Also the reason why I have windows 98se and office 2000 is becouse they where purched at seperate times. The names of the actuall files I deleted from the temp folder are MSO1 thru MSO1234. The last 400 were from today. The other 800 are from yesterday. When the program quit on me the first time, the only message was low resources. Today there was no message, I wrote some code for a commandbutton, tried it out and the screen froze up with the tool boxes flashing (blinking at a very fast rate). I tried the escape button to no avail. I had to use ctrl/Alt/delete to get out of it. Then the program wouldnt reopen. I did try to open a blank excel spreadsheet, and that didnt happen either. So thats what happend. I put my whole temp folder in the recycle bin, there is not folder named temp.files in the "C" drive now. Should I put it back and just delete 1200 files? And do you think its bcouse of the operating system or becouse of bad code?? If its becouse of bad code then I have no idea why.
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
[bd4].End(xlDown).Offset(1, 0).Select
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 0).Value = employ_sched.ListBox1.Value
ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Value = employ_sched.ListBox1.Text
End Sub

This was the code that I got cought up on. When the user selects a name from the listbox the name is entered into a cell on a spreadsheet. When I entered the same value twice, the program froz on me.
If you can suggest something let me know?

Upvote 0
Nice call Jack........you should be in IT
and put in some Macro crunchers :)

Todd M.....not sure why it would crash ??
I have had the same instances that you have experienced...majority of times it has been
a Bug of the operating system.

Good practice to clear out the Temp Dir

I have this in the Autoexec file to do it
automatically if I don't do it manually

C:WINDOWSCOMMANDdeltree /y C:windowstemp*.*

Ivan

Upvote 0
Hey Ivan- At least im not the only one this happens too. I keep trying to figure out why it does that and it doesnt make sense. I know the temp files are used to store the information of the program untill I save it, but I know dam well that I didnt Write over 1200 comands or codes in just two days. So know it must be the code running a loop to create this. The question is how do I detect where the problem is? I like your idea about the autoexec file, Ill create an icon on my desk top for easy access! But I still need to understand why this is happening? Obviosly if I load this program onto another computer then that computer would crash the program to if the user presses the wrong commandbutton. Any Ideas?

Upvote 0
Hi

This ones odd and to be fair you seem to be doing all the right things.. i have checked Tec-Net and nothing much... but to be fair would have loved to see the HDD in poor state...

How are you now....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richa mishra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back