Using excel with microsoft query instead of access

HERMIT

Hi. In the past, when I have had large data sets in excel, I have been importing it into access in order to find duplicates, find unmatched and so on. However, of late I have found that microsoft query on excel does pretty much the same sort of thing.

If anyone has any experience of using microsoft query, could you please give me a general overview of how much stuff you can do on it without having to use access. Also, when would you use the Data base functions in excel compared to the normal functions for sum, average etc? Do the database functions do things quicker? I haven't noticed much of a difference but then again my datasets aren't THAT big.

Cheers.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
OK querys are normally ODBC and on networds

so depends all on the network and so on.

Access is better at large data bases and they like nice, i never use access as its not excel for me i only use excel and refuse to use an other office product. but will do as you ask.

check the help files and decide if d functions are for you, its poss to use say sum and getthe right result as is dsum, d functions are complex in comparison an understanding is required but thats what databases are all about this row that column the make of car that coulur thich is call excel and so on answer is $100 they ask for the table and ros and then what you want.

try them they are so powerful and fast its amasing, take a bit to get used to until you undestand their ways.

I use them

dsum
dcount
dcounta
dmax
dmin

thats about it dget is used a ot check these out see if they are for you

remenber if you are trying a function and get stuck post a question we will always help you out...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iparraguirre89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back