MS Excel Template file Question... filename "bug"?

Mopacs

Hello once more,

I have yet another question... I dont know if this is something I am doing on my end, Excel bug, or perhaps its a normal feature.. but I have noticed whenever I open an XLT Template file I have created, Excel automatically inserts a "1" into the filename upon opening the file.

This would not ordinarily be a problem, except for the fact that I am running literally dozens of macros which refer to that Template file..with its filename,,MINUS the "1" that Excel seems to have added...hence causing the macros to bomb. (Ie, if the Template file is named "MyTemplate.XLT".. when I open the file from Windows Explorer or the desktop, etc, the filename of the open template suddenly becomes "MyTemplate1.XLT?).

Is there a way to correct this so that the "1" is not added? Or is there a real purpose for this? Anyways, its not a huge deal... If I open the file FROM within Excel.. this does not occur..only when opening the file from a Explorer window, etc)

Thanks again, in advance,

Rob

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
hi

this tagging as i call it i have see more than once but cant recall why, its a windows issue i recall to fix a reset is required in the options of ... sorry mate i cant remeber

like the way ecxel opens book 1 and then book 2 in the same session and reset next session.. doe it stay at 1 always... what if you re boot (cold boot i mean)

Upvote 0
I don't think it's a Windows issue. And, I think it's actually correct for the program to do that, a template is designed to be like a sketch of other sheets, therefor, you don't want to have changes made to the "real" template but to the open workbook.

In your macro, instead of saying

Workbooks("Template.xlt")

change that to

ThisWorkbook

or

ActiveWorkbook

Upvote 0
This tagging is intentional. The purpose of a template is to allow you to use the same formatted worksheet to base NEW workbooks on. The tag is to prevent people from overwriting the template and to force a file save as. You can work around this in your macro by saving your template as a workbook instead of a template. Excel does not add a tag when you open a workbook.

Upvote 0
Hi

re reading i agree with above ive misunderstood i felt thsi tagging was as hit SAVE not save as..

Juan

please explain.. non windows???? Excel can not save file it has no program manager.... so it can not write to the Hard Disk on save commands, SAVE or Save as is a windows generic command. so then i say this is windows.

I add the name command is passed into memory fopr windowes at assign the machine code transfer to the save command and save as command.

Thisis why save takes a second or so, depending or recal before save, but proves the point that the name even in a save command is passed in this way.

WEindows generates ne exl files on the basis of sequencial + 1 each session new doc opened again this number is generated cleaverly by windows and excel ie excel passes the data to windows to write the information we see and use.

if Excel can do all this why do we need windows. To add Excel in not capable of printing, she does not have print manager right. excel instruct windowes to do to this task RIGHT!

please can you explain you comments, im intrested in whatyou know as i night well be lead wrong in which case im teaching incorrectly..

to add i have my MCSE books next to the bin just in case ill throw them out.

Juan... please advise.. in very intrested. cheers mate..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back