Lottery number generation: create a single line function.

trillicomm

Board Regular
You must install "Analysis TookPak-VBA" before doing this; check in your Excel's Tools/Add-Ins menu. Paste this long function (see below) in an Excel's worksheet (any cell) and press F9 (calculate) until you see at least 2 identical numbers. Real life's lottery does not have repeating numbers. I can disable this repetition by using cells relation but I want to use just one (1) cell. Any expert wants to challenge? If not, you can use VBA. But it still requires one (1) line of codes.

=RANDBETWEEN(1,50)&" "&RANDBETWEEN(1,50)&" "&RANDBETWEEN(1,50)&" "&RANDBETWEEN(1,50)&" "&RANDBETWEEN(1,50)&" "&RANDBETWEEN(1,50)

T. Le
This message was edited by trillicomm on 2002-03-29 13:08

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hey that's a neat little function! I have just tried to better it (without VBA) without success. I thought I was onto something with:

=REPT(RANDBETWEEN(1,50) & " ",5)

But alas, the numbers are all the same :(

IMO, this neat little function is ideally suited to using as defined name. Open this dialog (Ctrl+F3) type in "Lotto" for the name, then paste in the CONCATENATED function.

Now you can use it in any old cell just by typing:

=Lotto

Well, that's the best I could get!

Upvote 0
Jack, apparently you have the answer??? (I doubt):

"Can a formula do this.. can i cheat?? OK no i wont udf this but formula... YES it can i have such..... works first time ever time. MY Fininacial Director was going to sack me when i got caught doing this test, then i email her now we are kinda pals! "

but if you do then post it here, my bag is packed for London, I can be there in 2 1/2hrs, my friends in Brixton can put me up.

Chris, this I have to see!!! :biggrin:

This message was edited by Ian Mac on 2002-03-31 06:10

Upvote 0
I agree with Ian Mac -- share the wealth.

So, is the answer going to be provided for all to see or not?

I see numerous responses from those "on the inside" in the public forum. Don't tease the masses, show us the UDF!

Bye,
Jay

Upvote 0
On 2002-03-30 17:54, Dave Hawley wrote:
IMO, this neat little function is ideally suited to using as defined name. Open this dialog (Ctrl+F3) type in "Lotto" for the name, then paste in the CONCATENATED function.

Now you can use it in any old cell just by typing:

=Lotto

Dave, doesn't that still retain the possibility of it returning equal ball values :

14, 16, 21, 21, 21 ?

We need different numbers on all 5 returns

:(

Upvote 0
Chris

Do you ming me asking.. how far have you tested this..

When i VBA (OK VBA is very different regadless whts peopel say) i fould Rand failed i used find instead....)

i have the same kinda results.

This is difficult.. IMPOSSIBLE.. no i do not agree its getting arround the quirks...

Im sure someone good enough will sove this..

Upvote 0
Jack - I haven't tested anythign much..... I thought about the problem for about an hour or two and concluded it couldn't be done in non-VBA, so if anyone can, I'll eat those jellied eels.

I just can't see how you maintain the first random number chosen within the rest of the formula - you can't refer back to it without declaring another seperate random number

I've given up on it, it can't be done in a single formula. :)

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-01 14:28, Chris Davison wrote:
Jack - I haven't tested anythign much..... I thought about the problem for about an hour or two and concluded it couldn't be done in non-VBA, so if anyone can, I'll eat those jellied eels.

I just can't see how you maintain the first random number chosen within the rest of the formula - you can't refer back to it without declaring another seperate random number

I've given up on it, it can't be done in a single formula. /board/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Following Chris's earlier British specs, 6 different numbers from 1 to 49, I'd suggest:

=RANDBETWEEN(1,7)&" "&RANDBETWEEN(8,14)&" "&RANDBETWEEN(15,21)&" "&RANDBETWEEN(22,28)&" "&RANDBETWEEN(29,35)&" "&RANDBETWEEN(36,42)&" "&RANDBETWEEN(43,49)

& no British breakfast, thanks, as specified again by Chris :devilish:.

Aladin

Upvote 0
how would balls 1, 2 and 5 ever appear in that scenario Aladin ?

that formula takes 6 different populations of equal size....

the "challenge" was 6 different numbers from a single population

:)

Upvote 0
Hi guys

this is the best i ever got to i hopped we could solve this
YES this we do as asks, but sometimes will fail with 2 the same.. 99% on target thou:

tRY IT TEST IT HIT f9 TO CHANGE THE NUMBERS. NO BAD I FEEL...

btw AS MY FORMULS SAYS.. please IF YOU WILL THE MILLIONS HELP A FEW GUYS WHO HAVE NO MONEY OF EXCEL TO PLAY WITH.. please GIVE THEM A CHANGE......

|||||||||||
="JackintheUK" &
CHAR(10) &
RANDBETWEEN(0,48)+1&
" "&
RANDBETWEEN(0,48)+1&
" "&
RANDBETWEEN(0,48)+1&
" "&
RANDBETWEEN(0,48)+1
& " "&
RANDBETWEEN(0,48)+1
&" "&
RANDBETWEEN(0,48)+1
&" " &
CHAR(10) &
"If you win PLEASE help others..."

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back