General design layout and graphics

RET79

Can anyone suggest a good website where you can see different spreadsheet designs? I am not the world's greatest artist and want to make my spreadsheets look the business as well as do the business.
Cheers.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
I have used excel commercially for a number of years, and find that the best solution is to trust your own styling.

The best way to maximise your potential in this area is to play with the properties & formats dialogs for everything. That is, all components of any chart you create, and when you right-click a selection of cells and choose "format cells" you should get to know every detail of the options available and play with them until you become hooked.

Lots of use of subtle colours (use shades rather than colours), and dotted & thin borders, frozen panes, hide gridlines, etc etc...

Keep the worksheet tidy and hide anything not required by the end user (eg. extra sheets not in use)...

Hope this helps and is not patronising, i find that the more you play the more intuitive your own talent becomes.

Upvote 0
Hey, that's great advice and I don't find you patronising at all!

The trouble is that some people in the office are starting to copy my layouts, so am trying to find a more unique style for myself ... :8
This message was edited by RET79 on 2002-03-29 16:18

Upvote 0
I tend to have a frozen panes heading of around 4 or 5 rows..... description, filename and path and column headings, all in reverse text (ie black cell background, white font), with the company logo top right
repeat them on printing, use gridlines and supress "0"s. I also apply the reverse text to totals, rather than havign accounting lines. Instantly recogniseable. Nice and crisp in my, totally unbiased, opinion !

:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back