First post...need help

Golfball

I thought this would be simple at first but...

I have 2 columns.

The first lists Stations. ie. 0+00, 2+00, 6+00.

For those not familiar with stationing it is just a measurement - (0ft,200ft,600ft).

The second lists elevations. ie. 1600, 1620, 1680

I need to plot a line chart to represent the 2 columns, but it has to be to a scale. ie.

Vertical Scale: 1" = ?'
Horizontal Scale: 1" = ?'

Excels' line chart gets me close but it does not scale correctly. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Would incrementing the Stations by 1 and the
use of #N/A to skip the Values help ?
Try inputing this......

Station Elevation
0+00 1600
1+00 #N/A
2+00 1620
3+00 #N/A
4+00 #N/A
5+00 #N/A
6+00 1700

Ivan

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply. I am not being very clear, and I apoligize. I am not much of an XL user and some of the terminology is beyond my grasp right now. What I forgot to mention is that the chart must be 3 inches high with 3 major axes, 10 inches wide with 6 major axes. Depending on the data the values will obviously have to shift. Another example: If the elavation was 1678 I don't want to see 1678 on the side, I want to see 1660 and 1680 with a vertical scale of 1"=20' and the 1678 plotted on the chart in between the 1660 and 1680. Also the stationing sometimes could be 3+40 an fall between the 2+00 and the 4+00 on a horizontal scale of 1"=100'.

again sorry if I am not making sense. This sight has a much more complicated example of what I am asking for at:

http://www.mrexcel.com/graphics.shtml#S2

If the answer is: "Golfball, this is way beyond you abilities as a newbie, you need to pay someone to do this foe you." I can accept that too. :)

"Because I could not stop for Death - He kindly stopped for me - The carriage held but just ourselves And immortality." -Emily Dickinson
This message was edited by Golfball on 2002-03-30 18:37

Upvote 0
I don't think anyone on this board would dismiss any problem so long as it's do-able, regardless of the level of knowledge.

I don't know if this'll help:

I looked at your example at http://home.adelphia.net/~djhess/Page.htm and pasted the data to a workbook.

I then highlighted the area A1:B4 and used probably my favourate shortcut Control+F1.
This will give you bar chart, the increments seem to be what your after. Once you have the chart you can Right Click on various point to change properties, like the type of chart, the Major and Minor properties of the Axis'.

Not a full answer yet, BUT play with the idea and get back to me if you need further assistance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
test111

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back