Error Checking in Excel
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: using excel as a relational database

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm building a length of stay study for a county jail and would like to do the entire thing in excel.

    I have gathered data regarding in date, out date, time of booking in time of booking out and charges. I need to be able to display data like:

    number of assault and battery charges on a given day and how many of these charges stayed in jail 5 - 10 days, 10 - 20 days, etc.

    How could I set this up so people could choose the offense and time and get the correct data?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Rest in Peace
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    1,582
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi


    I would investigate a Pivot Table option, sounds well suited from what you describe.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes - I'm using a pivot table. however, I was wondering if there is a way to allow the eventual user to select criteria somehow (such as a specific charge and a specific timeframe) and pull up a record of sorts as you might do in Access?

    I'm pretty new to pivot tables and have not worked at all with forms.

    Thanks

    [ This Message was edited by: eilerc on 2002-03-31 04:32 ]

  4. #4
    MrExcel MVP Aladin Akyurek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    The Hague, NL
    Posts
    83,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    On 2002-03-30 17:08, eilerc wrote:
    I'm building a length of stay study for a county jail and would like to do the entire thing in excel.

    I have gathered data regarding in date, out date, time of booking in time of booking out and charges. I need to be able to display data like:

    number of assault and battery charges on a given day and how many of these charges stayed in jail 5 - 10 days, 10 - 20 days, etc.

    How could I set this up so people could choose the offense and time and get the correct data?

    Thanks
    Care to post about 10 rows of data, including the labels/column headings along with queries you are interested in?

  5. #5
    Board Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Fort McMurray, AB
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    On 2002-03-31 04:32, eilerc wrote:
    Yes - I'm using a pivot table. however, I was wondering if there is a way to allow the eventual user to select criteria somehow (such as a specific charge and a specific timeframe) and pull up a record of sorts as you might do in Access?

    I'm pretty new to pivot tables and have not worked at all with forms.

    Thanks

    [ This Message was edited by: eilerc on 2002-03-31 04:32 ]
    AutoFiler can be useful for filtering data according to various queries. It even includes a custom option so you can say "show me only those rows that include data in this column that is less than/greater than/equal to/not equal to..." etc...

    See if this helps.
    Regards, Duane
    Office2010 in Win7

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd be happy to post some sample data, but I don't think you can post attachments here.

    Could I e-mail the file to you?

    Thanks

  7. #7
    MrExcel MVP Aladin Akyurek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    The Hague, NL
    Posts
    83,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    On 2002-03-31 16:06, eilerc wrote:
    I'd be happy to post some sample data, but I don't think you can post attachments here.

    Could I e-mail the file to you?

    Thanks
    Yes, sure.

    There is a method though that you can use:

    Select an empty cell, type =, select 10 rows of your data including the labels, hit F9, copy what you see, and paste it in the follow up.

    Aladin


  8. #8
    Board Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    North Wales Coast, UK
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have used the Data, Filter, Advanced Filter to extract data from a list using Criteria. It works but seems like MS defers to Access when things get more involved. Perhaps for your application it could be worth a squint.
    Regards
    S.

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •