data validation help

viper

I'm having trouble with my validation formula. I'm wanting to check for duplicate invoices and I am using this formula:
=Countif($C$9,C9)=0
I have a range of cells (C9:C38) that I copied this formula to. My problem is that the validation only gives the error message if the new invoice is the same as in C9, I can put the same invoice number in cells C10:C38 and no error message. What's wrong?

Thanks,

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
On 2002-04-01 04:31, viper wrote:
I'm having trouble with my validation formula. I'm wanting to check for duplicate invoices and I am using this formula:
=Countif($C$9,C9)=0
I have a range of cells (C9:C38) that I copied this formula to. My problem is that the validation only gives the error message if the new invoice is the same as in C9, I can put the same invoice number in cells C10:C38 and no error message. What's wrong?

Thanks,

What do you have in C8?

Upvote 0
Aladin in cell C8 I have the heading, and Dave I changed the formula to $C$9:$C$38 but now I get the error message in each cell. I've done this before I just can't remember how or the formula I used.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all,
I worked it out and it seems to be working as I need.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-01 17:24, viper wrote:
Aladin in cell C8 I have the heading, and Dave I changed the formula to $C$9:$C$38 but now I get the error message in each cell. I've done this before I just can't remember how or the formula I used.

=COUNTIF($C$8:C8,C9)=0

to be used in data validation that you set up in C9, which you copy/propagate down to relevant cells.

Aladin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back