File in use-read only error

MW

Some excel files shared on server open in read only format, and says file in use by (username), when in fact the file is not in use. Only way to save the file is to a new name, then the new file will give the same message when you re-open it. This happens on some but not all excel files on some but not all folders on the network. Have checked permissions and all, they are correct. It just started doing it about a week ago, was fine before that

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hi
My ignorant solution.
If all setting on workbook are correct...
...REBOOT!
Works for me!
Tom

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-01 09:25, TsTom wrote:
Hi
My ignorant solution.
If all setting on workbook are correct...
...REBOOT!
Works for me!
Tom
To add on TsTom comments:

Please do not NOT... ever just re=boot.

REboot is not good to do in the tence here can leqd to all kinds of problems memory issues the list is long

sorty if ive stepped in but PLEASE PLEASE cold boot!

Cold boot mean shut down switch off 2 mins MINIMUM and switch on... the gap distroys all the held data in bios memory and the windows settings its self,

this FORCES Windows Bios to re load,,, its safer and stop the bigger pain of all dirty memory.

again sorry to correct and step in but i just felt this is a simple addition, just try to help. no offence ment i assure you .

if you still have more problem TsTOM and myself im sure will offer ideas,..

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input, but shutdown and reboot didn't help the problem. Excel creates some sort of mirror copy of the files with a .xls.in2 extension instead of just the .xls. When it does this, the original file always comes up as read only and can't be saved under the original name.

Upvote 0
.xls.in2

In all my years i have never hurd of that one, i suggest the copy over trick into a new work book.

But try insert new shhet befor 3rd sheet select cell A1 and save re open and save as.. poss will relaease the document.. if not try copy over..

sorry lost on that one, a tip o the hat...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back