Convert number to date

fearless2002uk

I have a spreadsheet with a column of 3500 numbers (in this format 20030129 or 19971112 for example) they are infact dates - I am struggling to format them as such. HELP!

Many thanks in advance

OR,

Try the following formula:

=DATE(RIGHT(A1,4),1*(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1,".",REPT(" ",255)),255,255)),LEFT(A1,SEARCH(".",A1)-1))

23.11.2015 will be converted to date format 23/11/2015

This worked too, although it did not convert the periods to slash, but still converted it to dates so i can change the date formatting to dd/mm/yyyy. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
I need help, i have read this whol thread and got nothing,

I have date and time like this stored in SAP, moved to Excel,

<colgroup><col width="158"></colgroup><tbody>
<!--StartFragment-->
</tbody>

that is date and time with the seconds. I need it in two fields, first 6 are date, and will vary based on month, obviously the first zero is missing thank you excel. but it should be 09212015050630, but its not. I need the Date to appear like 9/21/2015 and the time as 05:06:30 so that we can manipulate it. Any ideas, i have tried the formulas in the thread and i can not get there. Currently i am using this, =DATE(MID(B2,4,4),MID(B2,2,2),MID(B2,1,1)) and its giving me the wrong year, says my year is 2016 not 15, and day is 9 vs 21, but the month is correct.

HELP

Upvote 0
Use this formula for the Date (you will have to use Cell Formatting to make it look like a date)...

=0+TEXT(LEFT(B2,LEN(B2)-6),"00\/00\/0000")

and this formula for the Time (you will have to use Cell Formatting to make it look like a time)...

=0+TEXT(RIGHT(B2,6),"00\:00\:00")

Upvote 0
Elaborating on this, I have two cells with a date:
A1 contains =TODAY(), A2 gets a date from another workbook using Index-Match function. I want to know the number of months between the two dates, using the DATEDIF function. result is a #NUM error.
so, I put =VALUE(A1) in B1, and =(VALUE(A2) in B2, but result is the same. THen I tried using =TEXT(B1;"dd-mm-yyyy") in C1 (same for B2 in C2), but I keep getting the #NUM error.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back