Find function not working?

RobbieL

Board Regular
I have a sheet with a list of names on and I've noticed that when I use ctrl+F to use the find function, even when I know i have entered the correct name it still will not work. I have identifed times when I know the name is there on the sheet, but the find function says "Excel cannot find the data you are searching for"

Im unable to put any pics up as my work pc has java disable so photobucket ect won't work but has anyone else come across this problem and how did you rectify it? A search macro perhaps?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hi

Do you only have a single cell selected at the time you run Find? Also, make sure via the Options button when you go to Find that you don't have "Match entire cell contents" checked (or possibly the "Match case" option either)

Upvote 0
Yes just a single cell selected and the 2 check boxes are not populated. If it would be more helpful I have taken a screen dump which I can upload later from my personal pc?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working - have you tried the usual things of closing and reopening the workbook? Go ahead and post a screenshot - hopefully someone will have an idea what the problem is.

Upvote 0
You can try also to select all then make find.
try this. press ctrl+a 2 times then you can find the word now by
pressing ctrl+f.

Upvote 0
May be Find format was set previously.
Try Ctrl-F - Format - Clear Find Format

Upvote 0
Old post but still seems to occur.
In the Find and Replace box, "Match entire cell contents" was not checked.
Checking it and un-checking it seemed to work.

File explorer found the file with an authors full name "Mair, B. J. and....". Using find and Within: Workbook did not find the worksheet.
In the worksheet with the entry, it did not find it even though clearly seen.
Used it to find cell with "Got" as the full cell entry. It found several. Tried it with Mair and it could not find it.
Even though the "Match entire cell contents" was unchecked, checked it and check mark appear, unchecked it and check mark disappeared.
It then found several cells with the partial information "Mair".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back