Out of memory

Stubby

Board Regular
I currently have two workbooks linked together, one of which is about 20mb in size. When I try to update the second workbook I receive an "Out of Memory" message. Can any explain why??

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Out of memory, basically, means you're running out of memory.

Your machine has a limited capacity for RAM with which to carry out its functions you are doing.... when it reaches it's capacity, it can switch some of these RAM to your hard drive and keep them in virtual memory until you come to access them again.

You could try upgrading your RAM capacity, or also try freeing up some physical c: drive space (I get nervous if I have less than around 200 megs free) and notice serious performance degredation if it dips below 30 megs

Your filesize may be 20megs (that's pretty big, but by no means a total behemoth) but the functions and calculations it is carrying out may need 100 megs in any given millisecond of processing, so you may be trying to access your hardrive (do you hear lots of "whirring" ?) to compensate.

As Dreamboat suggested, try to slim your file sizes down to relieve your immediate RAM, but also try to free up some C: space.

Deleting MS Word is always a good start :wink:

Upvote 0
Hi

Easy Chris.. OK i TOTALLY Agree,
Deleting MS Word is always a good start

>> Word ,, i chaeck them in spel checker.. no word on any pc I USE.. I DELETE IT OR refuse TO TOUCH THE pc...... YUUUUCCK!

BOXES FOR ME...

why bother with WORD.. bar one or 2 secrets Excel and do all Word can and a billion times more!

ill have a play buit i want to add and back up on Chris comments.

20MB file.. erm,mmmm

In XP which i now have HORRIBBBBBBBLE it is an all. i can not undrestand .. some 20 months gus have posted with BIG file sizes.. why??? OK you need A B C ////// z in one sheet... I disagree split them in some order Days/ months/ years / projectw what ever.. i have never know anyone i can get my hands that swares in a stack of excel manuals cant split the data....

thisis GOOD GOOD sound advise

Limit 5 - 7 MG MAX... then archive split..

I really do mean thsi Excel is such a good looking girl.. make her life easy and keep her bueatuful else she will gae to quick.... ill look into you post again...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORKINGWITHNOLEADER

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back