Macro to Copy

G

I need a simple macro to copy the formula from the cell that I have named “Formula1”, to the active cell.

Can you direct me to articles about “Getting Started In Macros”? I am familiar with EXCEL recording the keystrokes and mouse clicks. I would like to read about writing the macro code to perform actions.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Sub CFormula()
'By: Joe Was
'Copy the formula from cell named "Formula1" to the active Cell.

Range("Formula1").Copy
ActiveCell.Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlFormulas, Operation:=xlNone, _
SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
End Sub

Copy this to a module or Right click the sheet tab and select view code and paste the code from above. Close the editor and select Tools-Macros-Macro highlight this macro and press options add the Hot-Key "c" as c. Close. Then when you select a cell and press Ctrl+c the macro will copy the formula in "Formula1" to your selected cell.

To learn code, use the help function within the code editor. Help on a sheet is limited to sheet options. On the "View Code or Module" pages in the VBA Editor the help is for Visual Basic A. The help will give samples of how to use the code.

Try making recorded macros universal by changing the code that was recorded. Change "Range("A1").Select" to "ActiveCell.Select" or other ref. and play with the code to make it do more or to remove the limitations put into the code by the recorder. This should get you started.

To start: you need to name a macro, then tell the code where you are going to work, what you are going to work with, what you are going to do with your selection and how you want to end. JSW

Upvote 0
One other way is to spend an hour a day reading this board. The first couple of days read the questions then look at the code that is posted by others in response to the question, which will give you a bunch of insight into how the logic of macros works.

After a few days, or whenever you think you are comfortable with the logic and the commands, try this: Read a question here on the board that others have responded to, but DON'T read the responses. Take the question and develop a macro to solve it, then compare your code to some of the other solutions that have been posted, because usually there are several different approaches to solving a particular problem. You will find that you will learn more about VBA doing this.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back