#REF ERROR

dddeardorff

I have had this problem for a couple of years now and can't find anything at Microsoft site to help.

I have an excel file that I store in a network folder that is read-only to everyone but me (and a few administrators). So when the users access the directory and open the file, it comes up as read-only and they save it to another filename in another directory.

Randomly, they will open the file and it will be corrupted. It is a password protected workbook with password protected worksheets (and a password protected VBA project). Entire rows will be moved and offset to the right by 5 or 6 cells. It usually occurs at the same row but not always. Have not been able to establish a pattern. Have saved quite a few examples. It used to only happen on one sheet in the workbook but now I am seeing it more frequently on other sheets. Occasionally they will receive a message that says 'error data may be lost' and then the next time they open, they get the corruption.

We are using Excel 97 sr2 on WinNT machines. The files used to contain links to other workbooks but I removed in hopes that the links were causing the ref errors. But I am still getting them even after removing the links. (I created a macro to couple and paste special the values from the other workbook.)

So I know I rambled but I was just throwing out any info that I thought might help in resolving this problem. Is it an Excel problem? A Windows NT problem?

Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
no replies, so I'll stick my oar in...

is it possible the network virus checkign software is seeing your VBA and interpreting it as a virus and attacking the file ?

I once wrote a simple bat file in DOS to stick in our accounting system to load it via a desktop icon and it kept getting eaten by the, then, anti-virus software...

probably not much help, but hey, you never know...

Upvote 0
I was wondering if it was the anti-virus software. We had another problem with Excel files and it turned out to be the anti-virus software.

How would I go about finding out if it is Inoculan causing the problem?

Upvote 0
blimey, I dunno.... best line of attack would maybe to get in touch with your dedicated IT department (after rebooting, of course) and get them to interrogate the anti-virus software capabilities.... or sound them out first, as I honestly suspect my suggestion was just a shot in the dark.

Good luck !
:)

Upvote 0
I had problems with this file a couple of years ago where it would randomly save to a temp file. The PC Support (hardware/network) portion of our IS group finally figured out it was the anti virus software (Inoculan). They made their changes and we haven't seen that problem since.

Which is why I was wondering if this current problem is caused by something other than Excel. I just asked PC Support to look into whether it could be Inoculan hosing the files. Shot in the dark. Looking for any tree to bark up b/c I am at a complete loss and it takes 20 minutes to fix their files every time it happens and they use the files everyday.

Upvote 0
Hi guys

I want to be blunt chris.. i have yet and beleive me i will say if i see - to find siome rubbish you have posted.. al;l you say is fine by me and ok ALL ABOVE BOARD. far as i can see,

OK ill read again.. but rest asured Anti virus software is rubbish and always upsets windows not OFFICE office suffers as a result.. but then again Windos is rubbish too:

dam that was harsh!@ but Win2000 patch is ok NT$ patched 6 times to SP6 was fine.. XP is the best but i think XP stinks as its childish, you it your understand all that custonm this that and the other Yuuuck.. next ill end up with WORD!

rem XP office only works with XP office UNLESS pirate XP Windows.. not good.

Chris stik with it pal, just i lost why the AVTK came in.../////

Before you ask what do i like AVTK... ermm a dos kit from Malyasia called Vbuster.dat is cool nasty littel utility finds all sorts sadly no longer freware.. now Phillapines based.

AVP Anti virus Pro or Gold FREE ion cover disks and is Moscow Russian.. free undates for a year $10 year subscription., but proved weak on trojions and back orrifice clones as late.. worms and so on fine... nice but GUI is dated.

No im not reading mag as i type this

CatsClaw i never got on with, its not good when i tested with explor.exe.zip virus.. trashes explorer.exe in 2 mins no defence or updtae poss, waste of time that one.

VET nerver got on with seemed to weak, Win95.Cih bios and memory virus spread like jam, never go stop of that one..

Millisa never saw and Majistra.. failed as i dont use Outlook missed that one an all..

My choice is ... er,, Dr Solomansd Mcafee all the same.. best at present

Norton\YUuuuuuuuck.. all deliberate infections it tried from my case of virus files were instant infected to the anti virus program,. so i lost faith in that one...

more in a bit....

Dam.. i should get out more!

Upvote 0
hi

erm.. cant see nothing wrong with Chris D suggestions the re boot needs to be COLD boot (switch off abnd reboot after 2 mins) kills dirty memory all Windows suffer from.

AVTK could cause this,,, can i ask the macros are the version 4 by any chance ie Excel95 version not Excel 97 version if so.. they did not use moduels but sheets with eteh code in a bit different and these can be dreadful in VBE / VBA as the codes changed..

check where the codes are....

also check the access are correct and password all OK.. this can make our lover exel trippy.

ive more if this is negative..

Upvote 0
I hope I answer your question properly.

The code I wrote using VBA. Sometimes I would record a macro in Excel 97 and then modify it to fit my needs. Sometimes I just started from scratch. The code is stored in modules. Does that answer your question?

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back