Mail Merge Nightmare

The Mad Druid

I was hoping somebody would know how to do this....
I have an imported file from another program, in column b is the name of each person I want to contact and in column a, c and d is the data I want to send to them. However, the formatting of the imported file means that if a name is in b1 then the data to send will be in rows 2, 3, etc. Until the next name in column 2! What makes it worse is that the names are in 'Mr john Smith' format and the address book in outlook is in 'Smith, John' format. I spend way too long doing what should be a simple thing where I should just be able to mail merge or something in order to get it to scan for names and mail each the relevant data. Can anybody help please?

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Alright Chief,

Not sure about this one as I said the other day, but you got me thinking about other useful stuff that may help you. Look at http://www.asap-utilities.com to download a pretty funky add-on for Excel that makes rather handy formatting weapon.
This message was edited by Marcus on 2002-04-03 02:53

Upvote 0
Hey Mad Druid,

I read this earlier but have been a bit pushed today to find the time to formulate a decent reply. This does sound though like very much the sort of thing I've had to do in the past.
Assuming your output of preference would be one row on a spreadsheet per respondent, then I reckon I could give you a macro to do the job.
If you send me the file (email below), I'll post a reply later/in the morning.

Rgds
AJ

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back