Vlookup

cashmire

How can I make a Vlookup that is not depending on wether or not the source document is in CAPITALS or normal text size? So far I have only managed to make it work by making my reference list exactly the same as my source document but I would like to change this...is this possible?

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
How can I make a Vlookup that is not depending on wether or not the source document is in CAPITALS or normal text size? So far I have only managed to make it work by making my reference list exactly the same as my source document but I would like to change this...is this possible?

Hi,

I didn't realise VLOOKUP was case sensitive. e.g. I put dan, ben, jon in cells A1, A2 and A3 and 26, 23 and 25 in B1, B2 and B3 of sheet1. Then on sheet2 I type DAN in A1 and =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A1:B3,2,FALSE) in B2 I get the result I want - 26. However, there is obviously something I'm missing with your particular case. If your list is in capitals then use:-

=VLOOKUP(UPPER(A1),Sheet1!A1:B3,2,FALSE)

HTH
Dan

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-03 04:46, cashmire wrote:

The Excel Help topic for the VLOOKUP worksheet function states, "Uppercase and lowercase text are equivalent."

If the VLOOKUP function's 4th (optional) argument (Range_lookup) is 1, TRUE or omitted make sure that your lookup Table_array is sorted in ascending order.

If the VLOOKUP function's 4th (optional) argument (Range_lookup) is 0 or FALSE make sure that the Lookup_value that you're searching for has a matching value in the left-most column of the Table_array. By "matching value" I mean an exact match (i.e., the both must have the same number of trailing spaces if present).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back