New to board...How to select # of cells immediately prior to

kac918

I have an spread sheet that contains sales information in columns representing monthly sales. The manager would like the last four months to be averaged into a fifth field. On the fifth month, she inserts a new column between last month and the 4 month average. She wants the average to automatically recalculate the average of the new month plus the prior three months. How can this be done?
ie. a1=January, b1=February, c1=March, d1=April, e1=Average sales, she inserts May into e1 and average sales becomes f1. She then wants f1 to automatically update using b1 through e1..and so on each month.
Is this possible? I am a novice on this board and writing this type of formula. Any help is greatly appreciated. I do not know how to write macros either.
THANKS for any input!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
HI
Just change the formula in F1
=AVERAGE(A1:D1)
To
=AVERAGE(A1:E1)
Copy it
Paste it down the column
Tom

Upvote 0
Thanks, but the manager does not want anyone to have to change the formula...Currently, if you add in a column between D1 and E1, the formula does change to =average(a1:e1)(5 months), but I need to know if there is a way that when the new column is added in, the formula would automatically change to =average(b1:e1)(4 months), and the following month change to =average(c1:f1). Basically, I think I have to link the range (4 cells prior to the average) to the formula, not the absolute cell name. Does that make more sense? Thank you for any input given.

Upvote 0
okay, had to play a little but this does work....

In this example there are values in cells a1 to d1 that need to be averaged.

This equation for the sum is in cell e1, and will move to f1 when the column is inserted...

=AVERAGE(INDIRECT("A1:" & ADDRESS(1,COLUMN(E1)-1)))

Try it and see!

In the equation A1 refers to start of range, 1 refers to the row number that this is all happening in, and column(E1)-1 returns the column number for the cell just to the left of the equation cell.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0
On 2002-04-03 11:14, kac918 wrote:
Thanks, but the manager does not want anyone to have to change the formula...Currently, if you add in a column between D1 and E1, the formula does change to =average(a1:e1)(5 months), but I need to know if there is a way that when the new column is added in, the formula would automatically change to =average(b1:e1)(4 months), and the following month change to =average(c1:f1). Basically, I think I have to link the range (4 cells prior to the average) to the formula, not the absolute cell name. Does that make more sense? Thank you for any input given.

Enter the formula...

=AVERAGE(OFFSET(F1,,-4,,4))

...into cell F1.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back