So large file that Excel cannot open it...

BELFRED6

Board Regular
I have a file that became too big due to phantom bloat, unused range saved by Excel and all that kind of reasons. Thank to previous posts on that board tackling that issue, I was able to find how to proceed to reduce the file back to its normal size.
But I did so in a beta file (test file). The real file has become so big (103MB!) that Excel cannot even open it anymore! The file contains archive info that we do not have anywhere else.
Is there anyway then to open the file or to reduce its size without opening it (through magics...)? I just honestly don't know how to retrieve that info before deleting that file.

Thank you very much for your help.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Which version of Excel do you use on your computer ? Do you have any formulae in this particular file ? If yes, first start Excel, Go to Tools, Options, Calculation, set it to "Manual" and click on OK. Now, open the file with which you are having problems. Please have patience because the file size is 103 MB and wait for around 10 mins and see if it opens or not.

Please do keep us posted about the progress.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your answer.

I am using Excel 2003.

I did what you suggested. Excel was not able to open the file though.
After a few minutes, Excel returned the following message:
Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less data or close other applications.
All other applications were closed before I tried to open the Excel file. Should I close hidden running applications too (such as antivirus)?

Any other suggestion about what could be done?

Upvote 0
Does your file contain macros ? If yes, whay type of code you have in your file ? Moreover, do a search on your computer for a file called "Excel11.xlb" since you use Excel 2003 on your computer. Search for this file and delete it once you get it. After the deletion of that file, try to open the file again and see if it opens and please keep us posted about the progress.

Just for your information incase it applies to you (not necessarily):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292471

Upvote 0
Generally, you will be able to find that Excel11.xlb file on this path, assuming that you are using WindowsXP as the Operating System of your computer:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

Upvote 0
Thank you for your new suggestion. Yes, my file has various VBA macros in it.

I made a search on the file you suggested without success (I made the search onthe whole C: drive). There is no such file on my computer. But I did not find the same path name you mentioned. What I have is:
C:\Documents and Settings\User1 and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
and further there is no \Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
Sorry... I do have Windows XP

As to the link you mentioned I don't think it concerns me, although I am not sure I fully understood what Microsoft is talking about!

By the way, when I look at "About Microsoft Excel" in the Help menu, it is mentioned I have Microsoft Excel 2002! Actually not 2003... I always thought I had Excel 2003... At least I learnt something today, but it does not solve my problem though...

Upvote 0
Okay. I understand that you use Windows XP on your computer at the moment.

Now, perform these steps on your computer:

Double click "My Computer" icon on the desktop, Click Tools, Click Folder Options, View tab, In the "Advanced settings" space, you need to click on the radio button which says "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and once you do that, click on OK and close the My Computer window.

Next, Do you enter a password everytime you start your computer ? OR is that you are greeted with a "welcome" screen whenever you start your computer ?

By the way, when I look at "About Microsoft Excel" in the Help menu, it is mentioned I have Microsoft Excel 2002

In this case, you will need to search for the file called "Excel10.xlb". Please perform the above steps and let me know the progress again.

Upvote 0
I found the file Excel10.xlb and I deleted it as you suggested. The file was 18 KB only! I tried to opend the file afterwards without success.

Regarding the second proceudre you mentioed, I double clicked My conputer icon and went to Tools. But then I don't see any Folder Options choice in the menu.
I have only three choices: Map Network Drive, Disconnect Network Drive, Synchronize.

No Folder Options there... Am I looking at the right place?

and to answer your questions yes, there is a password set every time I start my computer. I enter the password and then get the welcome screen.

Upvote 0
This is what I did, when I had the same problem,

go to your IT help team, ask them to copy the file to any of the server mechines they are using (with high RAM capacity/Processor speed), try opening from there and change any formula to values or try to split it into more than one file

Upvote 0
Regarding the second proceudre you mentioed, I double clicked My conputer icon and went to Tools. But then I don't see any Folder Options choice in the menu.
I have only three choices: Map Network Drive, Disconnect Network Drive, Synchronize.

No Folder Options there... Am I looking at the right place?

No worries. That is not needed because you have already deleted the xlb file and the issue still persists.

Since you are using Excel 2002, the issue can be diagnosed as a memory issue and if this is the case, you will be needed to upgrade the current version of Excel on your computer directly to Excel 2007. Most importantly, Excel 2002 has only 128 MB of limited memory for allocation. By upgrading to Excel 2007, that memory is increased to the amount of memory Microsoft Windows can allocate to Excel thereby resolving the issue that you are currently experiencing.

However, we would try to cover all the possibilities here. Could you let me know if your file contains a lot of defined names ?

Also, try and start excel by going to: Start button --> Run --> type: Excel and hit Enter. Excel will start. Now, repeat the same procedure for the second time, exactly, then try to open that file (do not open that file by double clicking it), this time hold down the SHIFT key to prevent any macros from execution. You would be able to see 2 seperate instances of Excel in the Windows Task Manager, something like "EXCEL.EXE".

I will again urge you to wait for around 10-15 mins for the file to open. Please let me know the progress update.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutchie_1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back