Macros going dead!! ArGH!

Lord Eck

This has been bugging me BIG TIME,Im BOILING right now over this! Its happened twice, with tons of macros I spent HOURS making! OK, I have a workbook with several sheets, and several macros, call it "workbook1". Let's say I want to copy one sheet of this workbook to a new workbook, to send as an example to someone. Easy enough, right? Ok, so I "copy sheet" to new workbook, we'll call it "workbook2". I send "workbook 2" to a friend, and delete my copy of "workbook2" off my system. I dont expect my macros to work in his copy, but I expect MY MACROS in MY WORKBOOK to keep working! Ive coded like literally 12 macros in my workbook, but now every time I try and use one, I get an error saying "cannot find workbook2". "Workbook2" is gone, history, kaput! Why are all my macros "associated" with this **** workbook now, and is there any way to make workbook1's macros forget workbook2, and get on with their lives?

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
my only thought on this is that you may be writing the macros in the sheet module, rather than a separate code module???

Upvote 0
2 points here Lord Eck,

1 If you edit the modules (alt & F11) you can use edit/find replace to change all references to workbook 2 back to the original workbook 1.

2 If the intention is to email a sheet you need to approach it from two ways:-

either copy and paste only the areas you want excluding macro buttons, or alternatively copy and paste values.

or Alternatively you could use the workbook.add routine within a macro. this will simplify the task.

You can use the search button at the top of the page and enter the word email and you will find loads of routines.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back